Installation onto logical partition

Old September 8th 06, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
John Kloosterman

Default Installation onto logical partition

Vista RC1 will not install onto a logical partition. I have made su
1. The partition is marked active.
2. The partition is large enough.
3. The partition is made and formatted with the installer.
Installation chokes with a "Windows is unable to find a system volume that
meets its criteria for installation" error.

Can installation of Vista be performed onto a logical partition? (if not,
this NEEDS to be fixed.)
Old September 8th 06, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tony Hoyle

John Kloosterman wrote:
Can installation of Vista be performed onto a logical partition? (if not,
this NEEDS to be fixed.)

You can't install on a logical partition because you need to boot off
it. XP had this issue also IIRC. You can create up to 3 physical
partitions (+ the extra physical for the logical partitons) so just boot
off one off those.

Tony

Old September 9th 06, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Peter M

Of course you can.. all my vista betas have been installed on logical
partitions. I've even run xp on a logical. Windows doesn't care what
partition it's on as long as there is one active primary partition c:\,
it'll just place the bootloader on the primary active partition.

John, don't make the logical partition active. You already have a primary
active partition which would be C:. Vista will just put it's bootmanager on
C:.

Old September 9th 06, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
mayor

Yep, RC-1 works fine here installed on a logical partition.

--
Leo
Work Harder Millions On Welfare Depend On You

Old September 12th 06, 01:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ko van Zeeland

Vista RC1 will not install onto a logical partition. I have made su
1. The partition is marked active.
2. The partition is large enough.
3. The partition is made and formatted with the installer.
Installation chokes with a "Windows is unable to find a system volume
that
meets its criteria for installation" error.

Can installation of Vista be performed onto a logical partition? (if
not, this NEEDS to be fixed.)

I do have more then one OS, including Vista installed on a logicol partition
there are no problems I know off.

ko van Zeeland

Old October 1st 06, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dhble

Do I need to
1. Make both the primary parttion active.
2. Will xp and vista boot fine
a) If botht the parttion active.
b) If Only 1 partition is active and XP is installed there.

Thanks,
RSK