Old May 18th 09, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer[_2_]

Default Formats vs Codecs

KRK wrote:
hello,

It seems to me that the most important factor in videos is the codec.
Why then do software companies advertise the formats ( .avi etc )
that they support ? Movie maker 'supports' .avi, but doesnt play .avi
files with certain codecs.

Is there something I don't understand, or are we being misled ?

Why are there so many codecs ?

..avi is simply a wrapper...there are several hundred
variations.

The free utility GSpot can help you identify the codec
that was used to create an .avi file:

GSpot
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

The .avi that is compatible with Movie Maker is DV-AVI.

Why so many? I guess each developer has their own ideas.

Movie Maker 2 -
Importing AVI Files
http://tinyurl.com/2nncyj
or...