XP install clobered Vista

Old November 6th 07, 12:50 AM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Aaron Gray

Default XP install clobered Vista

"AJR" wrote in message
Tons of advice - all that is necessary is reinstall Vista from withn XP
(period),

BTW "...Sounds like good practice, but the reality is different ..." -
no it is reality!!!

I had Vista installed, I wanted XP installed, on a separate hard drive, as
Vista does not play nicely with MinGW32, so I wanted both.

Vista was already installed, I wanted XP too. I still want my existing Vista
installation, as otherwise I have alot of applications to reinstall.

If I had unplugged my Vista drive before installing XP then replugged it
back in after wards everything would have been fine. Then I could just
choose which OS I want to boot from BIOS.

Thats the reality of the situation. You maybe right in that I may have to
reinstall Vista, but it would be great if that was not so and some solution.

Cheers,

Aaron

Old November 6th 07, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Aaron Gray

"Mick Murphy" wrote in message
news
Apparently you have to try mbr repair a few times until it takes

http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp

And something for you to have a read of!

Its consistantly saying "Startup Repair could not detect a problem".

Its still saying "Error loading operating system"

Aaron

Old November 6th 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
AJR

I cannot address "unplugging the Vista drive..." since I have no expereince
in that route - both drives, to boot from BIOS, would have to be designated
active.

As you probaly know, XP uses Boot.ini as a DOS boot manager while Vista use
BCD Store via WinPE. For duial booting - XP is (Oldest OS) is installed
first - Vista is installed via XP and place files associated with its boot
manager on the XP partition and modifires boot.ini to provide the OS boot
option.

Usually a third party utility such as VistaBootPro provides a solution.
Another option may be BCDedit.exe. Microsoft's command line utility to
modify BCD Store. Check the follofwing site:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window...x#BKMK_bcdedit

Old November 7th 07, 06:34 PM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Spam away

In article ,
"Aaron Gray" wrote:

Vista was already installed, I wanted XP too. I still want my existing Vista
installation, as otherwise I have alot of applications to reinstall.

So re installing Vista deletes your APPs.
Oh my, I'll stick to my lovely intelligent MacOS.
Old November 7th 07, 06:36 PM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Pirate chaser

In article ,
"Aaron Gray" wrote:

Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
drive.

From what I read you should be happy.

Quite a something that one version of Windows destroys another.
Old November 8th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.os.windows-vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kenn

This may be what you are looking for to help load both XP and Vista.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...tibooting.html

Boot from an additional hard disk drive. Acronis® OS Selector enables you to
set the disk order so you can boot from any hard drive you select.

Insert a bootable CD/DVD and it will automatically be detected and displayed
as a multiboot option by Acronis® OS Selector.

Detect multiple operating systems that became unbootable due to some
accidental reasons with Acronis® OS Selector detection tool.

Support up to 100 of any known operating systems including Windows XP and
Linux on a single PC.
Install several versions of Windows on a single partition. Operating systems
with the same folder names (e.g. C:\Program Files) on one partition are
supported.

Install and boot an operating system from any partition of any hard disk.

Protect multi-boot OSes and setup with a password.

Hide operating systems and partitions.

Clone OS installation as a back-up.

Repartition your system for a new OS installation.

Boot viruses protection included.

"Pirate chaser" wrote in message
In article ,
"Aaron Gray" wrote:

Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
drive.

From what I read you should be happy.

Quite a something that one version of Windows destroys another.

Old December 4th 07, 09:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
pedro

Hi Aaron,

Did you managed to restore your windows?
I'm having the same problem and i have no idea how to fix this...

Thanks

Pedro

"Aaron Gray" wrote:

Installing XP on a second hard drive has clobbered Vista on the primary
drive.

I do not have my Vista DVD with me and am wondering the easiest way to
recover Vista ?

I obviously have a XP CD with me, and am hoping that I can get away with out
having to redownload a Vista ISO from MSDN Subscriptions.

Any help welcomed,

Aaron