Old June 5th 09, 08:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Gordon[_9_]

Default general question re resetting/renewing IP connection

"Dave Horne" wrote in message

"Sinner" wrote in message

"Dave Horne" wrote in message
First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if
it is not, please advise.

I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium.
On occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate
that the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to
the cable modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect
the cables, I can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume
the computer looks and finds a new address from my IP.

Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
received the following message - An error occured while renewing
interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
Request has timed out. [end quote]

My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
my provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?

Most cable ISPs don't change your IP address very frequently. You'd have
to be off-line for at least 2 days before they'd change it out. At least
that's the way Comcast works around here.

That may be, but I've found by manually unplugging the modem and router,
and reconnecting, I can more often than not get back online.

I was wondering if there is a software version (ipconfig \renew) of the
manual unplugging? Thanks, DH

Try right-clicking on the network icon in the systray and choosing "diagnose
and repair"....

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level