Old June 5th 09, 10:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
daleeh

Default general question re resetting/renewing IP connection

Since he stated "If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router..." I have to assume he has both.

Dave, please clarify and maybe give us the make and model of each
device.

Dale

On Jun 5, 3:07*pm, "Sinner" wrote:
He may not have a router. *In which case, the modem is supplying the IP
address

"daleeh" wrote in message

Dave,
The symptoms you describe would indicate a problem with the ISP
connection, not your computer. *If the modem indicates lost connection
on the Internet side, then that is something you need to address to
you ISP. *You mentioned a cable modem but not the ISP. *I have Comcast
and the last time I experienced similar problems, they had to replace
the modem.

One way to ensure Vista is working properly with your router is to
make sure the router DHCP service is configured correctly. *Then the
best way to reacquire an IP on your computer is first use the
IPCONFIG /release command to release the IP and then IPCONFIG /renew
to reacquire an IP. *Also, I've heard that it helps in Vista to turn
off the IPv6 service unless your router specifically supports it.

When restarting your modem and router, it works best to shut down the
router, then the modem, disconnect the incoming cable to the modem,
wait about 5 or 10 minutes, then reconnect the cable, power up the
modem and wait until its lights indicate a good connection on the WAN
or Internet side, then power up the router. *Wait about 5 more minutes
to allow you computer to acquire an IP address from the router or run
the IPCONFIG commands in sequence.

Hope this helps,

Dale

On Jun 4, 3:03 pm, "Dave Horne" wrote:

First, I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question, so if it
is
not, please advise.

I have a general question re network settings under Vista Home Premium. On
occasion, during busy times of the day, my cable modem will indicate that
the connection is lost. If I manually unplug the power cable to the cable
modem and router, wait until 15 or so seconds, and reconnect the cables, I
can usually suceed in obtaining a connection. I assume the computer looks
and finds a new address from my IP.

Under Vista, using cmd.exe (elevated), I tried ipconfig /renew but
received the following message - An error occured while renewing interface
Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has
timed out. [end quote]

My question, apart from manually disconnecting the power cables from my
modem and router, is there any other way to obtain a new IP address from
my
provider when the 'circuits are over loaded'?

Thanks, Dave Horne- Hide quoted text -