Old October 2nd 09, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
chasgl

Default Funny alphabetation in Windows explorer

Gosh I can tell my first post was hard to understand. I was COUNTING on the
space being a character. I expected ALL the 2009space folders to be before
the 2009dash folders. That is why I consistently named the ones I wanted
to separate with a space and the others with a dash . To see if I had
made some mistake in that I tried Agent Ransack. Agent Ransack worked, it put
the folders 2009space all to together and the 2009dash together. You are
probably right there is not way to fix Windows behavior. But you are wrong
Windows behavior is broken.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 22:25:01 -0700, chasgl
wrote:

My sweety and I take pictures and store them in folders. I label mine like
this 2009 09 22. My sweety does 2009-09-22. We figured that way they would
appear by date and each of ours would be separate. But the order comes out
like this
2009 08 27 Near Ali and Saida's mostly biking
2009 08 28 Saida and Ali return Arc de Triumph and Tour Effel
a bunch of other folders
2009-01-04. Dhyana-Terri in town.breakfast
2009-02-27. Party-Selim.Saida,Ali.Dan.Matt
.
.
.
2009-09-14 Lemgo
2009-09-23 Austin Property
2009 08 29 Sacre-coer
2009 08 30. Vaux-Le-Vicomte. Ali+M+C

So first are some with 2009space etc
then some 2009- etc
then some 2009space etc

Why would this strange thing happen?

You call it strange, but it's exactly what I would expect. You are
apparently expecting that both the space and hyphen will be ignored,
but that's not the case for either. A space is not the absence of a
character, it's a specific character, and it's the character that's
sorted to the top of the list. The hyphen comes later in the sort
order, before the letters and numbers.

Any way to fix it?

You can't "fix" the Windows behavior, because there's nothing wrong
with it. But you can rename the files to make them more consistent.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup