Old October 2nd 09, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
NetLink_Blue

Default Funny alphabetation in Windows explorer

chasgl wrote:
Gosh I can tell my first post was hard to understand. I was COUNTING on the
space being a character. I expected ALL the 2009space folders to be before
the 2009dash folders. That is why I consistently named the ones I wanted
to separate with a space and the others with a dash . To see if I had
made some mistake in that I tried Agent Ransack. Agent Ransack worked, it put
the folders 2009space all to together and the 2009dash together. You are
probably right there is not way to fix Windows behavior. But you are wrong
Windows behavior is broken.

I agree with you, chasgl. Windows behavior is broken. And it's still
broken under Windows-7 (32-bit). I just created/named various folders
similar to your convention. As a test. They do not sort in a logical
manner.

There is probably a way to fool Windows to be consistent. I will leave
that up to you to try and discover. Good luck.

Net_blue

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

[snip]
You can't "fix" the Windows behavior, because there's nothing wrong
with it. But you can rename the files to make them more consistent.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup