Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

Old November 27th 07, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Kristan M. Kenney [MVP]

Default KB941600 causes sfc.exe /scannow

Just a heads up, I've noticed on a lot of systems (both 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows Vista, multiple SKU's) that KB941600 causes SFC.EXE /SCANNOW to
report the following:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them."

I've reviewed the CBS.log file in accordance to KB928228 and KB929833, and
CBS.log reports that there are no corrupted files. I have also spoken with a
Microsoft Technical Support Professional in regards to this issue for about 6
hours and the only solution is to not install this hotfix (which provides a
baseline quality level for the USB Core Components in Windows Vista).

My question is this- why does this hotfix cause Windows system state
corruption, and is there any other known workarounds for this issue? Also,
has anyone else noticed this behavior after installing KB941600?

Thanks for your time and have a great day,

--
Regards,
Kristan M. Kenney

Old November 27th 07, 11:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
algypalgy

Yeah, I had the same self problem today when I ran the SFC.EXE /SCANNOW
cmd, but I was refused access to the CBS Log, even though I was running
the account as the administrator, so I don't know what the CBS log
says!!!

However it seems from you posting, that I just spent the last 8 hours
worrying for nothing - so, emmm, I guess I'm kinda glad you posted
today, I think.

Kind regards, Algypalgy.

--
algypalgy
Old November 28th 07, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Peter

I just ran sfc /scannow and got the same result at 98% complete. Despite
being an Administrator I had to replace ownership with my own name to read
cbs.log and cbs.persist.log will this cause any problems?

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
wrote in message news
[...]

rights.

Old November 29th 07, 03:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Kristen,
Send me the cbs.log file as well as the cbs.persist.log file
Zip them up before sending.
Remove the word "online" from the psted email address before sending
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------

Old December 18th 07, 10:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
ghrad

Kristan -

I received almost the same message . . . albeit my message reads as follows:
"Verification is 99% complete. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt
files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs|CBS\CBS.log" As was the
case with other individuals, I was prevented from reading the log.

Doesn't seem to affect anything, but has MS been able to resolve this issue?

Geoffrey

Old January 29th 08, 08:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
HMT

The easiest way to access/read the cbs.log file is to simply copy/paste it
into another folder like My Documents. The copy will have no restrictions to
open. You may have to click the Continue button to provide administrator
permission to copy after the Paste command. Works great, but be prepared to
see several entries not covered by the Microsoft KB articles on how to
interpret it.

HMT

Old March 15th 08, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
FishMan

Can I not just uninstall the Update ?
Old March 28th 08, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mark@Peterborough

I am getting the same message but don't know if it is valid. Can anyone tell
me how to verify the CBS.log file contains no real errors? There are many
sections stating POQ Start: and POQ Ends with summary information at the end
of each such as:
POQ 73 ends.
2008-03-28 08:00:44, Info CSI 000001d6 [SR] Verify
complete
2008-03-28 08:00:44, Info CSI 000001d7 [SR] Verifying
100 (0x0000000000000064) components
2008-03-28 08:00:44, Info CSI 000001d8 [SR] Beginning
Verify and Repair transaction
2008-03-28 08:00:51, Info CSI 000001d9 Repair results
created:

Thanks Mark.

Old April 18th 08, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Benjamin

Hi Kristan, I am tryin to install vista SP1 on my computer, but it does not
complete installation, it reurns with error report "Installation was not
successful" and a link to microsoft's site where there are five resolutions
to the problem. I have tried all 5, but number 3 seems to be d only 1 wit a
negative response, which is the cmd sfc /scannow, it returns wit the message
u stated below "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was
unable to fix some
of them." all others return positive results.... I had to change the security settings to my name to read d message, its loads of junk, I dnt understand anytin in there.....

and I also notice I have got the KB941600 on my system but not d other 2,
again my USB ports are not recognising any usb devices, I have tried lots of
solutions I hav read but no one seems to work for me, do u think uninstalling
the KB941600 would stop the error message of "corrupt files" from comin up
after the system scan and allow vista SP1 to install?? and do u hav any idea
on what I should do about d USB ports?? Help me plz, I dnt kno what 2 do....

Benjamin...