Old November 27th 09, 05:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
webster72n

Default Program stops responding for a few seconds

"Dr. Barry L. Ornitz" wrote in message
"Noor Motani" wrote in message
I want to let every one know that I removed Norton for a few hours. The
problem still persisted. That means that Norton is not the culprit. After
I removed Norton, I went into windows mail. When I clicked the mail header
to open the mail, I saw the message on the top task bar that windows mail
stopped responding. After about 10 seconds the mail opened and worked as
if nothing has happened.

Now, what next?

Noor

I have noticed similar problems in the last three days, and I have been
running Beta Version 4 of Norton 360 for about a month. The only new
additions to my system were four Windows updates, and they were released
on November 24.

Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB973688)
Update for Windows Vista (KB976470)
Update for Windows Vista (KB973687)
Update for Windows Vista (KB976470)

I felt very leery of installing KB973688 as it said that unlike most
updates, it could not be uninstalled. One of these days, I shall learn my
lesson and not install updates until they have been out a month or two
with no one reporting problems. I had problems with an earlier
uninstall-able update, and it was a real pain to correct.

I am an engineer and not a programmer, but I would bet the culprit is
KB973687 or KB973688.

Both of them installed without any problems whatsoever on my machine, but it's
a desktop.

Harry.

P.S.: and I am neither a programmer nor an engineer, just a regular
regular 'user'.

Dr. Barry L. Ornitz