Old November 29th 09, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Default is it possible to share the printer only?

This is a good question. You may modify the registry. This how to may help:
how to disable administrative share -
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/vie...3 49bc7d25cbc

--
Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

wrote in message
news
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a possibility that
the PC used by the kids have trojan or are even hijacked (anti-virus
are installed but it's still not that secure). So I only want to share
the printer.

Thanks.