Old November 29th 09, 08:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Dusko Savatovic[_4_]

Default is it possible to share the printer only?

To add to other posters.
To increase your security level, in Vista, you've got "Windows Firewall with
Advanced Security".
Under "Inbound Rules", you can check properties of "Server Message Block
(SMB)".
Check "Scope" tab. Here you can set local and remote IP addresses that are
allowed to connect to your network share(s).

wrote in message
news
When you turn on file and printer sharing, both file and printer
sharing are turned on. Is there a way to turn on printer sharing
only?

by default, c$ is always shared on windows XP pro, I am not sure about
vista/windows 7 home premium. So there is some security risk with
file sharing, while there is less risk with printer sharing.

The PCs are behind the firewall, however, there is a possibility that
the PC used by the kids have trojan or are even hijacked (anti-virus
are installed but it's still not that secure). So I only want to share
the printer.

Thanks.