Old January 1st 10, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious[_6_]

Default WD Passport USB device not recognized.

Has WD support also not provided you any recent Vista driver updates or
other meaningful help?

"Intrepid5295" wrote in message
I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home
Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts
to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed
to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and
receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and
the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any
help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
have lost the last sheet.
I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
these steps have fixed my problem.