Old January 1st 10, 10:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Walraven[_3_]

Default WD Passport USB device not recognized.

YES YES Convert, not format (embarrassed)

Michael

"R. C. White" wrote in message
Hi, Michael.

I think you meant to "convert" the drive from FAT to NTFS. Reformatting
it WILL destroy the data. But the built-in command, convert.exe, will
convert the format from FAT to NTFS without destroying the contents - and
it is much quicker than reformatting, practically instantaneous.

To the OP: In a Command Prompt window, type: convert /?
This should display a "mini-Help" screen showing how to use the command.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"Michael Walraven" wrote in message
If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in
NTFS format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the
drive so it will work in both machines.

Michael

"Intrepid5295" wrote in message
I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista
Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows
starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is
supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows
Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB
device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were
they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it
connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from
SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to
completion, and have lost the last sheet.
I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
these steps have fixed my problem.