Old February 15th 10, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Rick Rogers

Default HP Pavillion a1632x

Hi,

Drivers are bits of software written so that the operating system can
address the system hardware. Drivers are always specific to the operating
system (usually singular, but sometimes 2 or 3) in question, meaning they
are always only for use with a designated OS. In the case of HP systems,
like many manufacturers, the hardware is proprietary and requires drivers
written specifically for it. Quite often these are not found in the general
OS-provided driver library (each version of Windows comes with thousands,
but this does not cover every concievable hardware configuration and some
are designed only to provide basic, not full, functionality), so you have to
get them from HP. If there are non available, or if they don't work well,
there is not much you can do about it other than complain to the
manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"walter deodiaus" wrote in message
I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not
work well..
I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was
that I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they work
differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP but
not under Vista would be well discussed here.