Old February 26th 10, 01:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Default Lost path to boot drive - Help please

Hi, Tim.

"TimB" wrote in message
I have a Windows Vista Ultimate system with 4 SATA hard drives
configured to look like IDE drives through an ASUS motherboard.

I had the boot drive set as drive C: with a variety of applications
installed on it. Two days ago I 'cloned' that drive to a new larger
drive with the most recent version of Norton Ghost. That drive showed
as drive H:.

I've been trying to get the new drive to show as drive c:, as all my
applications want to read data or write settings to drive C:. I've
used the disk manager in Vista to change the drive letter assignments,
even swapped the SATA cables between the two and probably some other
settings in BIOS, etc. -- The original boot drive now shows as drive
G: and the 'new' drives shows as H:.

The system is now SO screwed up that although I can “boot” into
Windows it will not bring up any of my applications and simply shows a
light blue background with no toolbars or icons. I can use Ctrl-Alt-
Del to get into the task manager and try to start a management program
but it always shows 'Path Not Found' and references drive H:.

Can anyone make a suggestion on how I get one of the 'boot' drives
seen as drive C: again and boot into Vista? Maybe even to the point
where I can use the Vista DVD to repair one of them?

Thanks for helping an idiot!
Tim