IGFX

Old December 8th 07, 02:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
betty

Default IGFX

experience level-2 w/10 being
COMPUTER IS ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD! Compaq Presario Windows Vista Premium
I have never used Vista before. I don't seem to be having a problem using
it. Or not lol
While I am working the screen will go black for a few seconds. The notice:
display driver has stopped responding and has recovered IGFX. I get this
message 3-4 times a day.
I don't have a clue what to do about this and an answer would have to be in
very simple language. Sorry. I did try to reinstall the display driver but
the computer says I have the correct one and a new download is not necessary?
Also, I don't know if this is connected to the problem or not, but when I
walk
away from the computer and come back and it has been in a resting mode, my
keyboard will go out and I can't use it at all. This happens almost every day.
I have to reboot for the board to be used again.
Thanks for any and all help....I never expected this on a new computer!! Betty
Old December 8th 07, 03:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Betty wrote:
[...]

Return the computer to where you purchased it and get a replacement. No
new computer should behave this way. The igfx files are connected to
your graphics chip which is on your motherboard. The laptop should have
come with the correct motherboard (chipset) and graphics drivers already
installed. The lack of responsiveness after the machine is on for a
while also points to a hardware fault.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old December 9th 07, 12:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
betty

"Betty" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the advice to take it back. Now I am in a panic as I don't know
what to do about all my banking, credit card info etc. I do everything
online. I am 62 yrs.
old and I am having a hard enough time trying to figure out how to save all
my stuff before I take it back. I heard that someone can still get all your
info off of your hard drive. While I am talking to you it makes me think
about the recovery. Would it work if I did a recovery to the day before I
bought it? Would my info still be on the hard drive? Thanks so much for your
help. This is so awful. My kids bought this for me because my other one was
so old, and I have to report my work online.
Old December 9th 07, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Betty wrote:

Thanks for the advice to take it back. Now I am in a panic as I don't know
what to do about all my banking, credit card info etc. I do everything
online. I am 62 yrs.
old and I am having a hard enough time trying to figure out how to save all
my stuff before I take it back. I heard that someone can still get all your
info off of your hard drive. While I am talking to you it makes me think
about the recovery. Would it work if I did a recovery to the day before I
bought it? Would my info still be on the hard drive? Thanks so much for your
help. This is so awful. My kids bought this for me because my other one was
so old, and I have to report my work online.

All your online banking information is kept on the banks' servers, not
on your computer. If you restore the computer to factory condition
(refer to the computer manual or look on the computer mftr.'s tech
support site for how to do this) then all your data will be gone which
is why you want to back up first. If the problem continues after you've
restored to factory condition, then you know for sure it is a hardware
problem which you can't fix yourself. Take the computer back for
replacement.

Data can be retrieved even if you can't boot into Windows (or use
Windows for any length of time) but I'm honestly not sure you have the
computer skills to do it. I don't say that to hurt your feelings in any
way; I'm just being practical. I'll give you the methods below but you
may be better off having a knowledgeable friend (someone who is really
knowledgeable and not just saying he is) or a computer professional do
it for you. Do not use someone from BigComputerStore/GeekSquad; get
recommendations from friends, family, colleagues.

So, here are some things to try to recover your data:

1. Pull the drive and slave it in a computer running a working install
of XP/Vista. Depending on the target drive's characteristics, you may
need a drive adapter; i.e., laptop-to-IDE or a SATA controller card,
etc. A usb/firewire external drive enclosure works very well, too. Use
the working Windows Explorer to copy the data to the rescue system's
hard drive and then burn the data to cd or dvd.

2. Often XP/Vista will not boot with a slaved drive that has a damaged
file system. In that case, boot the target computer with either a Bart's
PE or a Linux live cd such as Knoppix and retrieve the data that way.
Here is general information on using Knoppix for this:

You will need a computer with two cd drives, one of which is a cd/dvd-rw
OR a usb thumb drive with enough capacity to hold your data OR an
external usb/firewire hard drive formatted FAT32 (not NTFS). To get
Knoppix, you need a computer with a fast Internet connection and
third-party burning software. Download the Knoppix .iso and create your
bootable cd. Then boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows
files. If you are using the usb thumb drive or the external hard drive,
right-click on its icon (on the Desktop) to get its properties and
uncheck the box that says "Read Only". Then click on it to open it. Note
that the default mouse action in the window manager used by Knoppix
(KDE) is a single click to open instead of the traditional MS Windows'
double-click. If you want to burn CD/DVDs, use the K3b program.

http://www.knoppix.net
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ - Bart's PE Builder

Malke

Old December 28th 07, 05:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ken

I have a new HP Pavilion PC with Vista Home Basic and Intel 82945G graphics,
512MB RAM and keep getting the momentary blank screen and "Display Driver
igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered message". I have
done full System Recovery from disks made on day one, again from the image on
the hard drive and again from a set of recovery disks sent to me by HP
Support. The mother board has been changed, I have uninstalled and installed
drivers from HP and from Intel. The Intel drivers produce a "Not validated
for this computer" message and the driver from the HP site is the same as the
one which comes from the recovery disks. I have been in regular contact with
HP Support and their local service technician. After all this the original
error is still there at times and I am rapidly losing patience after nearly
two months.

Old December 28th 07, 06:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pestalence

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

"Betty" wrote:

You need more RAM .. 512 is barely enough to run Vista.. you need at least 1
GB, 2 preferrably..

RAM is cheap.. you can get 4 GB at TigerDirect.com for $129.99 DDR2 PC-6400
Dual Channel (4x1024 MB dimms) 240 pin

I just bought some from them.. took 4 business days to get here by UPS.

Your graphics card may be built in.. if it is, it will require between 128
to 256 shared memory.. which means the graphics card will try to allocate
memory grom your system.. if it is in use.. then the display adapter will
fail..

Also make sure that your Drivers are updated from either Windows Update or
from your card manufacturer and that the drivers are Vista compliant

Old December 28th 07, 11:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ken

I had the problem when I had 1GB RAM fitted. The second 512GB RAM card was
removed when the new mother board was fitted. This was done to see if the
additional RAM card was causing the problem.

Old December 29th 07, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Grizz

I have a Compaq Presario (SR5210NX) running Vista Home Premium on an Intel
420 1.60Gb Celeron chip 0.99Gb RAM using the Intel 82945 G Graphics card..the
computer is NOW 1 month old..but from day one I was having the SAME igfx
issue..I went to the HP website and downloaded the updated "extreme" graphics
driver":
Intel Corp.
Driver Date: 8/24/07
Driver Version: 7.14.10.1322

Since then I am only experiencing the graphics driver cutting about about
TWICE a day as compared to about TEN or more times a day with the original
driver: Version 7.14.10.1277 (Oct. 2007) lol yes..I would prefer it NOT to
cut out at ALL but it may be awhile before its all sorted out.

Hope this info might help.

Old December 29th 07, 08:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ken

I am using the Ver. 7.14.10.1322 8/24/07. This is the one which was on the
PC when bought and is the one which is installed by the factory recovery
disks which were sent to me. I am waiting to hear from HP NZ early in new
year and will be very interested in what they have to say about this ongoing
problem. It is really frustrating. Now my LCD monitor is dying on me.
Confirmed by using a substitute. After an hour or so turned off, the LCD
monitor is OK again.