Old March 30th 10, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
User66

Default Help - setup file share between WinXP and Vista on a home network

Hello Jack,

Thank you so much for the reply. Although I am used to with a two way firewall, such as Zone Alarm,
etc., but because of Vista file sharing problem, have not loaded any other firewall, except the
built-in Vista's own firewall. Wish it was a two-way firewall or is it?

Anyhow, we have tried just about everything, but Vista does not open the laptop for file transfer.
We did set the laptop IP address and the gateway common address etc. properly. As I said, it did
work until the SP1 update was loaded.

We have tried several times by reformatting the laptop and reloading the Vista, and it does the
same. Within the home network, the laptop can transfer files to the other PCs but the other PCs
cannot, and the problem starts after loading Vista SP1. The Laptop name shows up on the network but
cannot open anything.

Will definitely post any changes, if it happens. Thank you again for the reply.

User66

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote in message
Hi
Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd
party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted
to your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
Firewall instructions.
Windows 7 Work Network, http://www.onecomputerguy.com/window...s7_sharing.htm
Vista File and Printer Sharing- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
Windows XP File Sharing - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;304040
Printer Sharing
XP -http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Sharing between Windows XP and Mac -
http://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web...file-share.asp
When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"User66" wrote in message
It has been years, we have been transferring files between our home PCs and Laptops in our home
network. But as we updated our Laptop with Vista SP1 & SP2, the network has become a one way
only. We can transfer files to the rest of the network PCs, but the Vista Laptop does not let us
in. We do see it listed in our network.

We had to re-format the laptop drive and as we loaded the Vista back again, we were able to
transfer files two way, but as the SP1 and SP2 update was loaded, file transfer has become one
way only. Did go through the setup on the Laptop drive as we did before. What are we missing in
SP1 & SP2 updates?

Appreciate help.