Old May 2nd 10, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
GrtArtiste

Default Windows Defender

Is this program even remotely useful? I've had it for 2 years now on
this Vista 32-bit Home Premium (Dell Inspiron 530). I've accepted all
auto-updates whenever they've occurred. Whenever it is run, 1 of 2
things will happen. Either it will report no detections and will say
the system is running normally, or it will report a problem that it is
always unable to deal with. Never has WD ever reported a problem that
it was able to correct. Today's problem is "BrowserModifier:Win32/
Fotomoto". Clicking on the link for more info, I arrive at a MS web
page saying the most recent definition update for this problem is
dated 11 July 2009. I fully expect that, as with previous detection
reports, the detection warning will disappear after the next update of
WD. Meanwhile, this computer gets frequent scans (usually twice a
week) with Malwarebytes and Avira Antivir and occasional scans with
Superantispyware. None of these has ever reported a problem at the
same time that WD does.

Should I just not bother? Should I just let it update itself (so I
won't be repeatedly bothered with update notices) and otherwise ignore
it? TIA.

GrtArtiste