Old February 4th 10, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
smlunatick

Default WD Passport USB device not recognized.

On Jan 1, 1:47*am, Intrepid5295 wrote:
I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and the like........none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and have lost the last sheet..
I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of these steps have fixed my problem.

Post Originated fromhttp://www.VistaForums.comVista Support Forums

Try: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html