Old August 7th 10, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Shenan Stanley

Default Save hardware drivers

snipped

entire conversation - archived indefinitely
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c3fff77a876b5/
/entire conversation - archived indefinitely

Chris K wrote:
Actually meant save a driver that's already installed

Nope - when Vista first installed it used generic driver (screen
was crap) - i used "update driver" and after crawling the web for
quite long time it downloaded the correct driver - albeit 2 years
old
As per your link - aint happening - i think the card is just too
old and not supported beyond 2008 - but it works fine - would be
nice to save it while I've got a driver *at all*

You didn't actually download/install the driver - Windows Vista found one in
the Microsoft Updates database and installed it - probably a few versions
behind the latest, so may not be as high-performing/as stable. So no - you
cannot save that - and you probably would be better off replacing it from
the actual manufacturer's web page (for the video card anyway - maybe they
keep their own hardware drivers up to date in Microsoft updates... Maybe...)

So, yeah - maybe _you_ cannot get the driver via the link I gave (yet - I am
about to teach you how), but as for it "not happening"; here is the download
links for the 32-bit and 64-bit Windows Vista drivers for your video card as
you listed gotten to via the link I gave you earlier:

32-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/2uqtqts
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

.... and for the 64-bit Windows Vista:
http://tinyurl.com/28md5ox
(just get the "WDM Integrated Driver" - unless you have some need for the
full Catalyst software suite...)

Why the tinyurl versions of the links? The longer URLs even included
spaces - makes them more difficult to post, sometimes other newsreaders will
cut them off, etc; but it makes some feel better, so...

32-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition

64-bit Windows Vista Drivers for your ATI Radeon X1650 Series:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...-Bit%20Edition

See what I mean? Now you can save them.

The 64-bit version is dated 2/23ish/2010 and the 32-bit version is dated the
same. Although they are end-of-life products - the cances of AMD (who
aquired ATI) getting them off their web pages until Windows Vista is no
longer supported by Microsoft is slim. AMD does say they will not be
producing Windows 7 drivers for them though.

I'll walk you through it so you might learn something from all this and use
it to get other drivers in the future.

I gave you this link first: http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx

Under the "Graphics - Desktop" heading, the last in that list is "All
Graphics - Desktop" and you click on that which takes you he
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pa...oad %20Detail

There you select "Graphics Cards - Desktop", "Radeon X1650 series" and
choose an operating system ("Windows Vista - 32-bit Edition" or "Windows
Vista - 64-bit Edition" in your case, given what you have.) and click on
"View Results". That will reload the web page with the appropriate link
(see above) and I think (hope) you can get to it from there.

You said you had the Radeon 1650 SE video card and M/Soft digital media 3000
keyboard...

Let's round that off with the other driver you could not find so far for
individual download...

Visiting he
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/

Gets me to he
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK

Where I select "Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista
(32-bit only)", "English (US)" and click on "Go". It takes me to a link
that has THIS link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7.10.344.0.exe
Which is "IntelliType Pro 7.1 32-bit for Windows Vista"...

If I change it up a bit and on the "Gets me to here" page I select
"Keyboard", "Digital Media Keyboard 3000", "Windows Vista (64-bit only)",
"English (US)" and click on "Go" - that takes me to a page with this link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...7.10.344.0.exe
Which is the "IntelliType Pro 7.1 64-bit for Windows Vista"...

Come back - let everyone know if that helped. As you can see from the first
part of this response - the conversation will be here long after the last
posting. It might be good if someone came across it and got the help they
needed from it - but they might trust it more if you came back at the end
and said if it worked for you or not...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP