Old March 11th 11, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail
Robert Wolfe[_4_]

Default LOGIN IN PROBLEM

On 3/10/2011 5:35 PM, Tom Evert wrote:
I keep getting a username and password box that says: LOGO to pop.charter.net and when I cancel it I get the following:

Account: 'pop.charter.net (1)', Server: 'pop.charter.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC17

Question: How do I get rid of the LOGO to pop.charter.net box that requires my username and password?

Thanks!

You might want to give these steps a try:

1. You pressed the cancel button.

2. If you pressed cancel because it is taking forever or it seems to
keep timing out then this is a possible corruption of the pop3uidl file.
Close your internet connection and all programs. Search for the file
pop3uidl and delete it. Reconnect and it should work.

2. Repeat step 1 with a reboot before you check your mail again.

3. You may have a corrupt or a very large file attachment on the
mailserver. Large file attachments, mail that are missing headers, or
mail that do not conform to the mail RFC's can cause this.

What I would do is trying checking for item #3 if your ISP has web-based
email access and look for anything that might look like a corrupt email
message, delete that message, and try again. As you may or may not
know, POP3 pretty much always requires a username and password
combination be sent before any kind of mail transfer can begin between
your mail client and the POP3 server.