Word and Notepad extensions

Old December 28th 07, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cemeje

Default Word and Notepad extensions

When opening a folder in Vista my Word document appears as a notepad file and
opens in notepad. However, when i go to my XP it appears as a word doc and
opens correctly. Is this a vista problem? I have Office 2003 on both
computers.
Old December 28th 07, 03:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Michael Walraven[_3_]

right click on a file you wish to change the defaults for.
open with
chose default program
select the program you want to open this file type with, insure the box to
always use this program is checked.

Michael
Vista Home premium

Old December 28th 07, 03:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cemeje

Will I have to do this with every single document? That would be hundreds of
documents. What is causing the computer with Vista to see it as a notepad
file rather than a .doc that it was created as? Thanks

Old December 28th 07, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Hank Arnold (MVP)

"cemeje" wrote in message
When opening a folder in Vista my Word document appears as a notepad file
and
opens in notepad. However, when i go to my XP it appears as a word doc
and
opens correctly. Is this a vista problem? I have Office 2003 on both
computers.

Not if you check the "Always Use" (or words o that effect) checkbox.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Old December 28th 07, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cemeje

Why does it do that in the first place? I can always set a default but it
doesn't explain why it first appears to be a notepad document.

Old January 9th 08, 06:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
xiafei

My .doc files always open in WordPad; when I try to change the default
program, I try to select Word 2007 but it doesn't do anything. I've
tried reinstalling, but that didn't help either.

edit: found a solution ('can't associate microsoft word with .doc'
(http://www.computerhaven.info/forum/...55770&mpage=1))

--
xiafei