Windows Explorer "Up One Folder" Button

Old September 10th 06, 06:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
**__Mike__**

Default Windows Explorer "Up One Folder" Button

I can't seem to find where to add the "Up One Folder" button to Windows
Explorer. It's a real pain to navigate without it and I hope it's not gone.

Anyone know how to add it?

Thanks,
Mike

Old September 10th 06, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rock

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
I can't seem to find where to add the "Up One Folder" button to Windows
Explorer. It's a real pain to navigate without it and I hope it's not gone.

Anyone know how to add it?

Thanks,
Mike

The folder listing in the address bar is clickable. Just click on the
previous folder and it takes you there. I think it was Andre who described
it as "leaving breadcrumbs" to follow.

--
Rock [MVP Windows Shell/User]

Old September 10th 06, 06:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
**__Mike__**

Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current location
while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless of how you got
there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 10th 06, 06:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
**__Mike__**

On second look, maybe it is always available. I thought I'd been in a
position where it wasn't in the address bar. I'll pay closer attention and
see if it happens or not.

-Mike

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current location
while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless of how you
got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 10th 06, 06:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Michael Palumbo

"Breadcrumbs" will still get you there even if you've directly opened a
folder with a shortcut or from the "Run" dialog.

It will still show the parent directory, and that directory's parent, and so
on . . . and if there isn't room to show the tree right up to the Desktop
(or the drive letter) you'll note a double chevron to the left of the
left-most visible directory, click that and you'll have a drop-down menu
showing all the parent directories.
Also, clicking the right-pointing arrow will show you a drop-down list of
all directories under that directory.

It takes a little getting used to, but now I find it easier to navigate than
the up-button/back-forward buttons found in XP.

Mic

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current location
while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless of how you
got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 10th 06, 06:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rock

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
On second look, maybe it is always available. I thought I'd been in a
position where it wasn't in the address bar. I'll pay closer attention and
see if it happens or not.

-Mike

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current
location while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless of
how you got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
I can't seem to find where to add the "Up One Folder" button to Windows
Explorer. It's a real pain to navigate without it and I hope it's not
gone.

Anyone know how to add it?

Thanks,
Mike

The folder listing in the address bar is clickable. Just click on the
previous folder and it takes you there. I think it was Andre who
described it as "leaving breadcrumbs" to follow.

--
Rock [MVP Windows Shell/User]

Yes I think it's there. No I don't know of a way to add it. I saw another
post, not sure where, too many newsgroups, with this same discussion. There
was no resolution as I recollect.

--
Rock [MVP Windows Shell/User]

Old September 12th 06, 06:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
**__Mike__**

So, I found where it's missing. When downloading a file in IE it shows only
the folder last used and no "bread crumbs" to the root of the drive. I have
a folder named download where all downloads are grouped, i.e.
download-WinXP programs-Winamp-V2.71-setup.exe. In this situation, you
want the "up" button so you can stay in the correct subfolder and only move
up as far as needed.

I guess there's no solution to this, but if someone knows one, please let me
know.

-Mike

"Michael Palumbo" wrote in message
"Breadcrumbs" will still get you there even if you've directly opened a
folder with a shortcut or from the "Run" dialog.

It will still show the parent directory, and that directory's parent, and
so on . . . and if there isn't room to show the tree right up to the
Desktop (or the drive letter) you'll note a double chevron to the left of
the left-most visible directory, click that and you'll have a drop-down
menu showing all the parent directories.
Also, clicking the right-pointing arrow will show you a drop-down list of
all directories under that directory.

It takes a little getting used to, but now I find it easier to navigate
than the up-button/back-forward buttons found in XP.

Mic

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current
location while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless of
how you got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 12th 06, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Michael Palumbo

I don't understand, do you mean in the "Save As" dialog?

It's in the "Save As dialog, as well as everywhere else I've look where
you're basically using an Explorer window.

Please detail the steps you've taken to get to the point where you don't see
Breadcrumbs, also, have you changed the default behavior of any folder
settings or the theme?

Mic

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current
location while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless of
how you got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 12th 06, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
**__Mike__**

Hi Michael,

No, I haven't changed any default settings and I am talking about the "save
as" dialog, which as you say is basically an explorer window. When the
dialog box opens you will have only the last folder a download was saved in
and no "breadcrumbs". I see now that clicking the "" button will bring up
a list that shows folders all the way back to the desktop. I also see that
enlarging the "save as" dialog box will show the "breadcrumbs".

It turns out that the default size of the box is just too small for there to
be room to show more than one folder in the list.

Thanks for the help,
Mike

"Michael Palumbo" wrote in message
I don't understand, do you mean in the "Save As" dialog?

It's in the "Save As dialog, as well as everywhere else I've look where
you're basically using an Explorer window.

Please detail the steps you've taken to get to the point where you don't
see Breadcrumbs, also, have you changed the default behavior of any folder
settings or the theme?

Mic

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current
location while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless
of how you got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 13th 06, 03:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Michael Palumbo

Ah, glad to hear you found it. Mine didn't default to a size too small for
them to show. Either a fluke on your machine, or on mine . . . anyway . . .
seems all is well. :-)

Mic

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

"**__Mike__**" wrote in message
. ..
Right, but that only works if you've drilled down to your current
location while the "up" button lets you move up one folder regardless
of how you got there.

Still looking to add the button if anyone knows how.

-Mike

"Rock" wrote in message
. ..