File is hidden??

Old January 10th 08, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
CJ[_2_]

Default File is hidden??

Hi Groupies

Last night I was working on an Access database. I closed the file and its
folder and then decided to go back in to check something. I opened the
folder and THE FILE WASN'T THERE!!

Panic and chaos ensued for a while. I was able to find the file by going
back into access and opening it from it's most recently used file list. I
saved a backup copy etc.....

However, the original file is still not showing up in the folder. I have
changed the folder settings to show hidden files, done a search, everything
I can think of, but the file won't show up.

Thinking that the original is somewhere else and perhaps I have just lost
it, I moved a backup copy into the original folder and tried to change it's
name to that of the original file. Windows gives me the warning that a file
with that name already exists ?!?!?!!

If it exists, how come I can't see it? The folder says there are 9 items but
there are actually 10 if you include this ghost file.

Any ideas???

--
Thanks for taking the time!

CJ
Know thyself, know thy limits....know thy newsgroups!

Old January 15th 08, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jamie[_2_]

Check out this newsgroup post:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...e-60553c67c22b

This may be a virtual store issue like I was experiencing.

If this is not the case please include the path where these files are
supposed to be saved.

Old January 18th 08, 08:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
CJ[_2_]

Hi Jamie:

No luck with your suggestion. My files are not stored in a program folder.
The file path is C:\Users\CJSystem\Desktop\Current Work\BulkPlant\Inventory
Database

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old January 19th 08, 12:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
alexB

Why don't you check the registry for the file name and see if it is
registered there at the directory in question as well as some protective
flags have been set up for it not to be erased under any circumstances.

Old January 19th 08, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
alexB

A second thought: I am not really familiar with Access however, in Sql
Server for instance when you create a table you never see it. It is hidden
inside the database (.mdf) itself. When you delete a table you just reduce
the size of the database file. Is it possible that something like this could
be happening to your file? You closed what you believed was a file but in
fact a table and it drowned in one of the database definition files?

Old January 22nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
CJ[_2_]

Well, it's a thought. In Access you can see the tables and any other objects
in the database, unless you specify that they are hidden.

I think it might just end up as one of "those things....."