Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Is it coused by firewall? by Wojciech Laskowski
http://s11.bitefight.pl/c.php?uid=63310 That's the screenshoot of bug which appears when I'm opening the IE. I can't serve the net. Is it coused by firewall? I use Panda Antivirus 2007. How to solve it?
January 17th 07 02:16 AM
by Jupiter Jones [MVP] Go to last post
2 151
Registry Key Permission Change in Windows Vista by Greg Zeldin
Hi. I am having difficulties launching Apple QuickTime Player 7.1.3 on Microsoft Windows Vista build 6000. I get "Error 46: Could not load or find the QuickTime ActiveX control." After troubleshooting the problem with Microsoft Process Monitor 1.01 I traced the root cause of the error down to permissions on the HKCR\QTOControl.QTControl and HKCR\QTOControl.QTControl.1 registry keys. To...
January 17th 07 03:24 AM
by Greg Zeldin Go to last post
2 131
BitLocker with TPM Problems by Tony Pitt
Mobo: Intel DQ965GF BIOS: Intel v5595 (latest) TPM: ST Microelectronics v1.2 OS: VISTA Ultimate TPM driver: MS tpm.sys (Intel do not have tpm driver for Vista!) TPM enabled and initialized in BIOS. When I enable BitLocker, it passes the 'check' and begins encryption, while simultaneously turning OFF the 'TPM base services'. Result is Bitlocker thinks that no valid TPM device present!!!
January 17th 07 08:34 AM
by Tony Pitt Go to last post
5 165
Question regarding a program connecting to a sql server by F.Vader
Hi folks, We have a custom program that connects to a sql express 2005 server. This program works fine from a windows xp workstation butnot from Vista. I have tried disabling the firewall. Also when i run SQLCMD or the SQL Management studio from the vista client i can connect. On the server i get error 18456 severity 14 state 8 login failed for user 'user' . I have also tried setting...
January 17th 07 12:49 PM
by F.Vader Go to last post
0 103
Per-user shell context menu extensions? by Keith MacDonald
Vista has broken the ability of applications (eg. WinZip), without elevated privilege, to add themselves to Explorer's context menus. On previous versions of Windows, they could do that by writing an entry in the registry to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers. Does Vista use an alternative registry location for such entries, that only apply to the current user, so that no...
January 17th 07 12:52 PM
by Keith MacDonald Go to last post
6 116
Offline files question by Or Tsemah
How can i enable a setting the enforce Offline file syncing during Logon\Logoff for all users ? The GPO Setting doesn't seem to do anything... Or.
January 17th 07 07:06 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
4 146
File security question by wynand32
Okay, I've searched, and _thought_ I was gaining some understanding of Vista's new method of enforcing file and folder security. However, here's what I don't get: I have a folder that I've copied from an external hard drive, which was to transfer the files from my previous Windows XP system to the Vista Ultimate system that replaced it. I've taken ownership of the folder (which I'm not sure...
January 18th 07 01:01 AM
by wynand32 Go to last post
6 117
Do you wish learning BitLocker Technology ? by Vista Ready
Follow the below URL Link for the most incredible learning experience that ever did you experience for learning why Vista and BitLocker provides Ultimate Security ! http://blogs.msdn.com/si_team/default.aspx -- Life is Wonderful !
January 18th 07 07:43 AM
by LoneWolf Go to last post
6 135
UAC: Bug or just poor error message? by Marco Peretti
Hi Everyobdy, If you try to copy files from a network location to a local one where only the TrustedInstaller user has write access then you get an error message stating that your mapped drive refers to a location that is unavailable -- which is not true. In my opinion it should give an Access Denied error message. More details and a couple of screen shots can be found...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 18th 07 08:31 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
10 253
Block all traffic from an IP address by SuperPlay
Hi Folks I am attempting to create a rule that blocks all incoming traffic from a XP domain client. I create a new rule under "Inbound Rules" The properties a General: Enabled and Block the connection set Programs and services: All programs that meet the specified conditions
January 18th 07 01:48 PM
by SuperPlay Go to last post
1 120
Signed EXE to avoid UAC prompt by bort_verdon
We have a specific exe that updates a lot of files under the directory it is in. This program needs admin rights, is it possible to get a certificate to to avoid this prompt. The reason being that some networks where our product is installed wont be giving users admin passwords, the update is a daily process to get the most up to date information of our site, so network guys wont be able to...
January 18th 07 07:45 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
3 156
Certificate problem by Allan Riise
Trying to import my *.pkcs12 certificate used as a digital signature fails everytime. That's a big problem as it is used for all correspondance with state and county, i get my bill's and stuff in to a closed server wich only can be accesed via that signature. Can any one help? The Import Wizard tell's me....
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 19th 07 05:34 PM
by Allan Riise Go to last post
11 256
Sleep function by Francisco
After sending the laptop to sleep, when trying to turn it on again, it appears the mouse pointer, but the screen remains black. It has happened to a new hp and a year-old Fujitsu. I have to shut them down completely and reboot them again. Any idea of how to correct this?
January 19th 07 07:34 PM
by Francisco Go to last post
3 115
Norton AV 2007 Beta closing Windows Defender by Edric
Hi Is anyone experiencing the shutdown of Windows Defender by NAV 2007 Beta for Vista? Tks Edric
January 20th 07 08:46 PM
by 1Enquiring, DMN Go to last post
4 106
Regedit restrictions by Andyww
As a developer and tester I need to have full control over the registry on my machine. For example if I am developing a USB device, I might have this device detected and drivers installed, then I might want to completely remove all traces of it to re-check that it installs properly on first install, or I might want to change the properties of the device. In Vista I cannot do this. In fact...
January 22nd 07 04:55 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
3 131
why Microsoft doesn't shut down the Chinese KMS server vbs.net.cn ??? by Janet Chen
http://vistafans.com/thread-76671-1-1.html The server was operating over the Internet for more than 2 months and Microsoft DID nothing ?? vbs.net.cn:xxxx xxxx is random port that changes every 30 min. port status can be found at http://vbs.net.cn (some overseas IP are blocked to visit this site)
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
January 23rd 07 11:21 AM
by Mr. Vista Go to last post
19 675
Network resources/Web lose Connection - Time Sync? by Scott Townsend
So ever since I've installed Vista I've had issues with It Access the resources in our Active Directory Domain. I sometimes cant log on to the machine with a Domain Users Account (machine time is not in Sync with Server) Set the time of local Vista from the AD Server(Access Denied) Access Mapped Drive (machine time is not in Sync with Server) Access \\Server\share (Not Available,...
January 23rd 07 02:47 PM
by Scott Townsend Go to last post
0 119
EFS with Smartcard by Lukas Dvorak
hello, does anybody know about a link to a detailed technical description of the EFS smartcard support? Certainly, this could work by directly using the s/c key, but as I suppose, it would be quite slow, so that I suppose, there is a more complex solution to the problem, isn't it?
January 23rd 07 07:11 PM
by Pat Hoffer [MSFT] Go to last post
2 139
Bitlocker and Smartcard authentification by Detlev Rackow
Hello, our technical account manager suggested to me to look into Bitlocker as a possible reason to do on early migration for notebooks. We do currently use Safeguard Easy and Safeboot for driveencryption. These products allow the use of smartcards and Aladdin tokens to authenticate both against the drive encryption prior to the O/S-boot and against the operation system at logon.
January 23rd 07 07:26 PM
by Pat Hoffer [MSFT] Go to last post
2 134
Windows Vista Content Protection - Twenty Questions (and Answers) at windowsvistablog by EU XP user
This might well be a repost, but I found the comments from last weekend at http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/20/windows-vista-content-protection-twenty-questions-and-answers.aspx most disturbing. Nick White, (a Product Manager at Microsoft working on the Windows Vista launch team?) allowed readers to comment on Vista's Content protection, and especially its far...
January 23rd 07 08:35 PM
by EU XP user Go to last post

From The