Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
DCOMCNFG Items are grayed out? by Gerry Hickman
Hi, If I start DCOMCNFG.EXE on Vista and then navigate down to "DCOM Config", it shows a list of all COM servers on the machine. Some of them allow their properties to be adjusted, but many of them are grayed out. e.g. Wordpad - can change properties Windows Update Agent - can NOT change properties I need to be able to change properties of all of them. A) When
April 21st 07 02:11 PM
by Gerry Hickman Go to last post
1 116
Mobile RDP Sessions by Or Tsemah
Does anyone know how to connect to an NLA Enabled Vista (RDP 6) computer from a Mobile 5 PPC ? -- Or Tsemah YSIDE
April 21st 07 03:29 PM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
0 116
"You do not have the proper privileges to install the application" by manfun
I'm facing the same problem on Windows Vista Permium. Did you got any solution. If you have any then let me know plz. -- manfun
April 22nd 07 05:25 AM
by plazticsoul Go to last post
1 112
Adding Links to the Links field in IE7 by PetePryls
I have to start IE7 as (runas adminstrator) adminstrator to be able to add Links to the links field otherwise I get a "Access Denied" popup. I'm local administrator on the computer. Is it suppose to be like this? Hope not! I'm running Vista Ultimate and IE 7.0.6000.16386 Thanks
April 22nd 07 05:47 AM
by plazticsoul Go to last post
1 143
Use bitlocker to encrypt different parrtition by R.Demandt
Is it possible to use bitlocker to encrypt an other partition than the windows Vista systempartition (for example encrypt D: rather than C:)? Regards, Rob
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 22nd 07 09:16 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
10 240
Seeking an MVP to be a Remote Assistant by nweissma
I am looking for an MVP who is willing to be my Remote Assistant partner. Anyone...? -- /s/ Neal Weissman (212) 591-1531
April 22nd 07 03:11 PM
by Malke Go to last post
4 180
"Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Snap-in failed to load" by nweissma
Newbie, fooling around with Home Premium, came across an option labeled, "Windows Firewall with Advanced security" Upon activation, popup reads, "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security Snap-in failed to load. Restart the Windows Firewall Service on the computer that you are managing. Error code: 0x6D9" --
April 22nd 07 03:13 PM
by Malke Go to last post
5 161
2nd backup, not 1st (again) by Paul H
I purchased a new laptop with Vista Home Premium, moved my files from my old XP Pro to it, installed the programs I use, then did a backup to DVD (more than one - not a quick process). Now when I tried to do another backup, it said this is the first time so it will back up everything (again???). Why won't it just figure out what changed since the first time I did a backup, a few weeks ago....
April 22nd 07 07:13 PM
by Kirk Go to last post
6 187
firewall keps switching itself off!!! by BillDoor
I'm using Vista's own firewall, but it keeps switchin iself off, usually after I've rebooted or put it to sleep, are there any issues known about this? Is there anything I can do to stop it. thanks
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 22nd 07 09:59 PM
by Rock Go to last post
11 298
vista common incident. is it a problem? by nweissma
32 bit vista home premium. control panelproblem reports and solutions. "Service Admin Works Agent X8 hung on starting" is a common incident. notwithstanding that I have no idea what awServ.exe is, to what extent might this cause a problem -- might it indicate an infection? be the cause for onecare firewall's unceremonious cessation?
April 23rd 07 01:09 AM
by nweissma Go to last post
0 128
Vista vs. OneCare Firewall by dale
I am an original subscriber to Windows OneCare, which I've always used with it's Firewall ON. Upon installation of an upgrade from XP to Vista, I cannot access the internet or Windows Messanger with the OneCare Firewall on - only when I shut it off. Is there a problem, do I have settings wrong somewhere, or what should I do??? -- Dale
April 23rd 07 05:19 AM
by nweissma Go to last post
4 187
Noise Control Issues by chris bradley
http://targets1.schtuff.com/ - I must be popular - this is all the people that are amped up about my purchase of Vista... -Chris Bradley
April 23rd 07 12:12 PM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
1 215
common vista incident. is it a problem? by nweissma
32 bit vista home premium. control panelproblem reports and solutions. "Service Admin Works Agent X8 hung on starting" is a common incident., and has been so for 5 weeks. notwithstanding that I have no idea what awServ.exe is, to what extent might this cause a problem -- might it indicate an infection? be the cause for the unceremonious cessation of onecare's firewall, or windows defender...
April 23rd 07 01:01 PM
by mikeyhsd Go to last post
3 139
Network by Martine
Is my network secure just through having it WEP enabled?
April 23rd 07 01:30 PM
by Hayman Ezzeldin Go to last post
2 187
common vista incident. is it a problem? by nweissma
32 bit vista home premium. control panelproblem reports and solutions. "Service Admin Works Agent X8 hung on starting" is a common incident., and has been so for 5 weeks. notwithstanding that I have no idea what awServ.exe is, to what extent might this cause a problem -- might it indicate an infection? be the cause for the unceremonious cessation of onecare's firewall, or windows defender...
April 23rd 07 01:33 PM
by Kerry Brown Go to last post
1 149
With Windows Vista I can only ping my gateway but not another PC by Scott
I am Using Windows Vista and I can only Ping my gateway. When I try to Ping another PC in my network I am unable to ping. This is working fine with Windows XP. I have even turned the firewall off on my Vista Machine and I am still having no luck. Any suggestions to correct this issue would be appreciated.
April 23rd 07 03:45 PM
by Malke Go to last post
1 147
Sidebar triggers DEP error message by Nat_W
Upon startup, Windows Sidebar fails to start with a message that it is closing due to an error. When I click to find more info the DEP explanation box pops up implying that Sidebar triggered a DEP event. What's going on with that? I am using Home Premium preloaded on a new Dell Dimension E520.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
April 23rd 07 05:10 PM
by Zarra Go to last post
10 245
Adding a pin after setting up bitlocker by Tony Linguini
The instructions are not quite clear. I set up bitlocker to be sure it would work on my system, the after reboot it automagically encrypted the disk. I wanted to use a pin. Are there specific instructions for doing this? Thank you.
April 24th 07 12:13 AM
by Tony Linguini Go to last post
3 164
-- new partition -- by Edmundo J. Davila
Hi, I just bought a notebook with windows vista business installed. It has a 120GB hard disk with one primary partition of 120GB. I would like to create 3 partitions of 40GB each one. Is there a way to do this with the disk management of windows vista?, if it's possible, how do I do this? In advance thanks for your help. Edmundo J. Davila
April 24th 07 02:12 AM
by Rock Go to last post
2 146
IPsec question on vista by Leo_Wang
Hi! I have a question in vista. I am trying to set up IPsec policy on vista to create a VPN connection. I had seted up IPsec policy on WinXP successfully. But that same set up on vista, result is failure. I had tried to create a tunnel on windows firewall. I try to ping the node in the VPN but it reply Negotiating IP Security. What's the problem?
April 24th 07 01:49 PM
by Leo_Wang Go to last post

From The