Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Can a standard user access the Admin account via Safe Mode? by mgr
I have a situation where I want to be the administrator for my son's laptop, and convert him to a standard (non-admin) account. He originally set up the laptop, giving himself admin privileges, but he is no longer allowed to use it in that condition :( I am now the passworded local admin account (same account used to install Vista), and AFAIK do not have the system Administrator (upper-case A)...
November 14th 08 01:02 AM
by mgr Go to last post
7 349
The Security Center service failed to start due to the following e by ronnell
Can't get security center services started, no suite installed, only Nod32 antivirus, superantispyware, and winpatrol active, can't start the service, i been searching for weeks to no avail. keep getting the message: The Security Center service failed to start due to the following error The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service.
November 13th 08 10:29 PM
by ronnell Go to last post
2 223
IE 7 and Vista x64 Bit by PA Bear [MS MVP]
RCPOLK wrote: When I loaded Vista Home Prem. x64 I found two versions of IE 7. One version (default) is x32 bit and the other is x64 version. I would like for the x64 bit version to be the default program. Please be so kind to tell me how I can do this. Thanking in advance for your help, Bob
November 12th 08 11:11 PM
by PA Bear [MS MVP] Go to last post
0 225
Computer configuration in Group Policy not enforced in Vista by Krisani
I have a Vista and XP machine joined to a domain. The computer configuration in a group policy is not getting applied on the Vista machine. But user configuration is applied without any issues. I dont see any errors in the group policy eventlog except for the informational message that the Group policy was filtered out Default Domain Policy Denied (Security)
November 12th 08 05:49 PM
by PassPlay Go to last post
1 242
Question about admin user by izyani
Hi, I already create user with ADMINISTRATOR privilege. But, when I want to change system32 folder properties, i manage to un-tick the Read-Only check box. Actually, I want to replace some file in that directory. Thank You.
November 12th 08 01:04 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
2 271
"you need permission to perform this action" on network folder by darylh
Greetings, I am having a problem accessing folders that I made on a newly purchased external HD set up on my home network via a wireless router. I set up the HD (a 500GB drive in an USB enclosure) and formatted it using the Computer Management tools in Vista. It has 1 primary, active NTFS partition. With the drive plugged directly into my PC by USB, I was able to format the drive and create two...
November 12th 08 02:57 AM
by darvesh88 Go to last post
1 270
test please direguard by Steve St Denis
November 11th 08 07:05 PM
by Steve St Denis Go to last post
2 268
test disreguard by Steve St Denis
November 11th 08 02:18 PM
by Steve St Denis Go to last post
0 289
Smartcards - CSP and Vista by Joerg Lemp
I'm looking for the CSP for Vista. Our Sicrpt or Axalto smartcards are working (hardware), but I'm still missing the middleware (CSP). With 2003 or XP our smartcards are working perfectly, because of the OS included CSP and for 2000 there is a MS download. any ideas? Microsoft has defined a new CSP model - the so called Microsoft Base Smart Card CSP working with dedicated card modules. This...
November 11th 08 09:06 AM
by Paul Adare Go to last post
3 288
Vista Parental Controls no longer blocking websites by Red Baron
I have my kids accounts set to use the parental controls, with web sites whitelisted. This used to work fine. I was very surprised today to find my daughter on the M&M's website which is not in the whitelist. I checked that the parental controls are still enabled and still set to whitelist, and that the site was not in the whitelist - all true. But she can access any site at all right now...
November 10th 08 03:54 PM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
7 330
Can't move one folder to another by Gordon[_5_]
Vista Home premium SP1. I have two folders within my Documents folder. My Standard user account has full control on both folders. I am trying to move one to the other but I get "Destination folder access denied"!!!!!!!! As I say, in the security tab of each folder I have FULL CONTROL!!!!!! Why should I get this error?
November 10th 08 11:48 AM
by FromTheRafters[_2_] Go to last post
6 260
AVG, Windows Defender, AdAware? by Amanda
Hi, I have a general question about spyware sorts of infections. I have AVG Internet Security full version, and I also run a scan frequently with Windows defender. Both say they are looking for spyware, although the AVG website doesn't seem to have any specific instructions for what to do if you get one. Recently I somehow got a hijacking sort of infection, which kept re-directing my...
November 10th 08 09:14 AM
by Hank Arnold (MVP) Go to last post
9 294
Firefox 3.0.3 + Search Engines (Google etc.) + Vista = Slow/No loading by Neil Jones[_2_]
Hi, I have Firefox 3.0.3 on Vista Ultimate. It was working fine until recently but now I have noticed that links from search engine results are not loading most of the time. I am clueless about this performance hit. A similar search using IE browser is working fine. I have reinstalled my laptop but Firefox and Search Engine results are not getting redirected. Here are a few sample links...
November 8th 08 05:51 PM
by DDW[_3_] Go to last post
1 241
Securing folders by species8350
have a folder on my pc that contains confidential information. I am wondering if the best way for me to secure this information is simply to create another user account for others to use. For example, in the event that the pc needs to be repaired. Would this be the best way to secure confidential information, or is there a better method Thanks
November 8th 08 10:34 AM
by species8350 Go to last post
2 257
"run as administrator" box is greyed out??? by Squa190
I have a program that needs to be run as administrator. In the compatibility box the "Run as Administrator is greyed out and can't be clicked. Is this normal and how do I fix it??? I am the only user on the computer and an administrator. I am listed as the owner of the file already if that helps. -- Squa190
November 7th 08 05:12 PM
by Squa190 Go to last post
2 236
Vista Program Files Folder Problem – Issue 1 by José António Silva
Hello, I usually deploy a package composed, among others, by a mde file (Compiled Access File). The installation process is done with a msi file. So far so good! However, sometimes, I need to update my program several times a day and, to be simpler, I deploy to clients an exe file that just replace the mde file. This can break some windows installation rules, but that’s enough! Now, I’m...
November 7th 08 02:55 PM
by José António Silva Go to last post
9 262
Need my Temporary Interent Files by PA Bear [MS MVP]
Alexandra wrote: I have just gotten a new PC with Vista and my Temporary Interent File folder is hidden. I have checked and uncheck all the appropriate places even changed the registry vale for SuperHidden files. Still can not access it. When I open the settings in the Internet Opetions panel and View Files it is blank. The Properties box for the Temporary Internet Files...
November 6th 08 08:12 AM
by Steven Andrews Go to last post
9 246
Where is the LocalService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect direc by Scott
In Vista, where is the LocalService\Application Data\Microsoft\Protect directory located? It looks like the entire LocalService profile was moved to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles, but I don't see a folder for Application Data. Thanks!
November 5th 08 05:31 PM
by Scott Go to last post
0 265
MS dumps Vista. by news.microsoft.com[_10_]
MS dumps Vista. No surprise there. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/technology/business-computing/29soft.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin
(Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
November 5th 08 09:05 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post
37 1,025
Frustrating time trying to sign in here by Snowbound
I must of spent 30 minutes trying to sign in at http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords&lang=en&cr=US&r=89cfc180-b2a6-4c9c-9939-c13a2235ae50 I would sign in to my hotmail yet the system would throw no errors yet there would be no ability to post messages. I just happened to stumble over...
November 5th 08 05:07 AM
by Mick Murphy Go to last post

From The