Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Defender - Automatic Update of Definitions by Drew__
Hello, Not sure if this forum or the update forum is the correct one. I have been having issues with windows defender for quite a period of time now. I am using Windows Vista 32bit, and for the first couple of months I had the computer, defender would always update itself automatically, but then it stopped working, saying it could not find any new definitions. I assumed this was because...
January 23rd 08 05:41 PM
by Engel Go to last post
4 159
Failed security update by Drew__[_2_]
I had similar problems with this until I disabled my antivirus. Something to do with the process not being accessible apparently. Try disabling any AV programs you have running, and possibly any other applications which are not part of windows. Make sure the processes are ended in the task bar and then restart and try to install them again. This fixed the problem for me, although one of the...
January 20th 08 02:47 PM
by Drew__[_2_] Go to last post
0 143
Additional Info - Vista and Conficker by DRK
An earlier thread mentioned the Conficker worm, how it is affecting Vista, and that the threat has changed. I have two symptoms of the worm - Windows Update no longer works (when I load it goes to a blank windows explorer screen, which I have force quit through Task Manager), and Windows Defender no longer works. I have used multiple Conficker removal tools (BD, F Smart, MS Removal) and none...
April 1st 09 06:43 PM
by Sam Hobbs[_2_] Go to last post
4 256
hyperlink blocked in email message by drumz
Using Outlook 2003 in Vista Basic. An email message (imported from pst) the links say blocked: yadayada.com. How do I turn that off so I can click them? Thanks in advance
February 15th 08 05:08 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 172
Unable to open .eml attachemnt in Outlook 2007 by DRW
I recently did a clean install of my Vista system, and ever since I've been unable to open .eml attachments in Outlook 2007. I double click on the attachment like i used to, but when I do, "message" next to the attachment hi-lights. I tried disabling the google desktop add-in, but that didn't work either. Does anyone have a solution to this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
January 21st 08 08:57 PM
by tripphammer Go to last post
1 99
Vista Security and Windows Defender will not start by dsagent
I recently had a Trojan and Symantec anti virus removed it. However when I uninstalled Symantec (I wanted to place in another anti-virus) Windows Security became unavailable. If I go to Control Panel Security nothing happens. When I try to access Windows Defender then I immediately get a blue error screen. Now whenever I open up Internet Explorer sometimes strange noises start to happen as if...
December 29th 09 05:33 PM
by MowGreen Go to last post
2 391
antivirus software by dsmith
I have McAfee and was told thru this community that it is not compatible with Vista. A friend told me to get Avast, which is a free download. What is your position on this Avast and is it compatible with Vista? -- dsmith
October 3rd 07 12:32 AM
by Kayman[_2_] Go to last post
8 196
files blocked if html or htm by dtontsch
I have Vista Busniess and am domain and computer administrator an this laptop. I have some file located e.g. in D:\Folder\Folder2\file.txt which I can easily edit, rename etc... I have full control of this file. Once I close the file, rename into file.html and open it then with an editor I can't save changes anymore, it says like "File/Device may be read only or open for write by another...
June 3rd 08 11:08 AM
by dtontsch Go to last post
0 153
Can't open .msg and .eml attachments in Outlook 2003 by Duane
Have Vista Home Premium on new computer. Since transferring my Office 2003 SB Suite, I can not open attachments. This includes file types such as above that are not on the list of forbidden file types. I can save them and turn them into objects in word, but they are mostly a mess- hex code with some english, no formatting. I've added the Level1 parameter to my registry with these...
April 18th 13 06:51 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post
7 2,899
Problem with KB958215 by Dudi
Hello, I use Vista home premium + IE7. Whenever I install MS update of KB958215 my IE stops accessing the internet. Any ideas ? Thanks Dudi
January 4th 09 05:52 PM
by Solis Go to last post
3 233
Windows Vista Ultimate by Duj
Good afternoon people, my first post here :) ok where to start i have had windows vista 2 days now, and i havent bin able to sign into msn live messenger, i get error "81000306" i have also looked into the firewall and messenger is ticked. i can sign into msn live messenger on my Windows XP SP2 computer no problems there! i am not having any other problems with Vista as of yet. i post here...
February 1st 07 07:29 PM
by Robert Moir Go to last post
1 90
internet software, administrator access, and security. by dumalam
i downloaded poker software from a popular internet site. the icon on the desktop shows that it requires administrator access, and indeed when i open it i get the 'unidentified program wants access to your computer' message from user account control. the site seems reliable and legitimate, but i am wondering if granting the program access to my computer leaves me and my computer vulnerable....
July 5th 07 12:24 PM
by dumalam Go to last post
5 103
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.1 client and server for vista by duongthienson
Hello everybody, I have a problem about NAV in my company about symantect, Please help me solute it. Many thanks Now our system using Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10.2 client and server. NAV Server setup in to Window Sever 2003. And nearly all of client using windows XP. Untill now the symantec run ok, But now we have some client setup window vista ultimate. I setup Symantec AntiVirus...
August 26th 09 12:21 PM
by Malke[_2_] Go to last post
1 116
windows defender scan by duwayne s
the number of objects scanned wen't from 160000 to 210000 why or is this normal ?
January 24th 09 02:15 AM
by Joe Buck[_2_] Go to last post
1 269
windows defender by duwayne s
in windowes defender under history it lists2 programs -name unknown -the date-& succeeded . under description-program has potentialy unwanted behavior .. how do i remove these ?
January 24th 09 04:01 AM
by Kayman[_6_] Go to last post
1 307
windows update by duwayne s
I HAVN'T RECIVED A UPDATE SENCE 3-20-09 . WHEN IT RUNS IT SAYS NO NEW UPDATES AVAILABLE. HOW CAN I BE SURE IT'S WORKING AND REALY CHECKING FOR UPDATES?
April 1st 09 05:44 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
3 159
post by duwayne s
i posted 2 questions 1-23-09 i can't find them. can anyone help?
January 24th 09 02:50 PM
by Ken Blake, MVP Go to last post
3 4
ActiveX controls Problem by Dwaggie67
How can I allow websites to use the ActiveX controls on my computer? Every time I want to do something I get this message in a gold bar: Your security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls installed on yyour computer. How can I disable this permently. I can't even plag a game becuse of this.
October 4th 07 04:27 AM
by Derek Go to last post
5 258
Access Privileges by Dwaine
I just purchased a new notebook with the Windows Vista OS. I have installed the iTunes software for my iPOD. When I try to sync my iPOD, it will sync my music files but does not sync my photo files. I get an error message: "Cannot sync iPOD. You do not have enough access priveleges to perform this operation"
October 10th 07 11:06 PM
by Dwaine Go to last post
0 164
Bitlocker and cracked logons by DWalker07
Bitlocker and Bitlocker for Windows 7 are supposed to be great at preventing stolen disks or stolen computers from having their disks compromised by being installed in another computer (or by booting the computer with another OS). But, if you steal a computer, there are lots of tools on the 'net that will crack logon passwords. How does Bitlocker help in these situations? If someone can...
May 2nd 09 12:48 AM
by FromTheRafters[_3_] Go to last post

From The