Threads in Forum : Security and Windows Vista Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
UAC - practical implementation? by Alan van der Vyver
Hi! I think I am missing something very basic and expected to be able to find the information I am looking for easily, but in fact, have not been able to. I want our staff to have standard user accounts, because I want them to be aware of potentially malicious activities they did not initiate and I want them to pause and consider the consequences when they do initiate actions that are...
January 15th 07 09:30 PM
by Richard G. Harper Go to last post
9 228
Vista and Windows Defender Version by AlanHo
I have Vista Ultimate with Windows Defender configured in use. Using Defender - Help - About .........I can see that Windows Defender is version 1505 If I check on the Defender website it shows the latest version as 1593 - I downloaded it but it refused to install with the message that Defender is included with Vista and it was not needed. I tried Windows Update - but it reports that my...
December 28th 07 12:22 PM
by AlanHo Go to last post
0 164
Visa and Windows Defender versions by alanho
I have Vista Ultimate with Windows Defender configured in use. Using Defender - Help - About .........I can see that Windows Defender is version 1505 If I check on the Defender website it shows the latest version as 1593 - I downloaded it but it refused to install with the message that Defender is included with Vista and it was not needed.
December 28th 07 08:40 PM
by John Barnett MVP[_3_] Go to last post
3 175
Account locked by Alanj
Running Vista Business on a ThinkPad T43. The laptop is a member of a workgroup named workgroup. I am a consultant so I visit/authenticate to many different corp domains for use of printers, exchange, shares, etc. If I shutdown my laptop and move from one domain to another everything works fine. When I hibernate my laptop and move from one domain to another my account on the new domain...
April 24th 07 10:00 PM
by Jesper Go to last post
1 169
User Account Control by AlanP
Currently when faced with loss of security or the UAC prompt I go for loss of security. I think UAC has some real merits if it could learn what a user of a PC wants to do on a regular basis. I think everyone, except MVPs supporting the Microsoft community, agree it's very annoying to have the interrupt on running non Microsoft products. If UAC were modified to interrupt the first time a...
May 29th 08 03:58 PM
by AlanP Go to last post
3 232
Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN by Alasdair
When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even if connected to a VPN. What has changed? Printing: From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008) Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
March 17th 10 07:06 AM
by Michael Steiger[_2_] Go to last post
14 962
Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN by Alasdair
When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even if connected to a VPN. What has changed? Printing: From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008) Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
October 11th 09 08:22 PM
by Alasdair Go to last post
0 207
Windows Vista not compatible with McAfee by Alba-g
Hi, My problem is that i have install McAfee ver: 4.3.0.29 on my computer, but is not compatible with Windows Vista. I want uninstall, but i can't. Can you help me? Thanks -- Alba
February 5th 08 11:29 PM
by Web[_2_] Go to last post
4 234
IE7 Vista COMPLAINTS by Albert Pang
1. IE7.0 in Windows Vista has Disabled SSL 2.0 2. IE7.0 in Windows Vista does not allow automatic import of 3rd party CA Certificates
August 31st 07 04:44 PM
by Albert Pang Go to last post
0 155
seek free online virus scan best suite for Vista by Alberta H K
Seeking free online virus scan, best suited and specifically for Vista. Some popular online free scanners I have been at CA web site are very good. But not for Vista. Thank you.
October 10th 09 01:38 PM
by Uri Go to last post
9 303
Can I run IE6 on Vista? by AlchemiA
Hello MVP's and other IT Knowledge purveyors, My client requested 3 new PC's with Vista and Office 2007. I complied and set them up on the SBS 2003 Domain. (There was a problem saving Office 2007 documents to the SBS Shares but that is another question) Our issue is that a 3rd party Application can only be executed in an IE6 environment! Tsk tsk with the 3rd Part App's ...
3 310
conime.exe by aldo[_2_]
sono un neofita. Nel sistema ho conime.exe Devo eliminarlo o no? ringrazio Aldo
November 17th 08 07:55 AM
by Wim Hekken -) Go to last post
1 277
Encrypt Data on a Vista Home Premium x64 PC by aledgd
Hi All, I am planning to buy an upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64 for my existing PC. My question is: Will I be able to simply get Windows to encrypt the existing HDD retrospectively, after just upgrading or will I have to do a clean install? Thanks Guys!
September 18th 09 02:30 PM
by aledgd Go to last post
0 203
Encrypt Data on a Vista Home Premium x64 PC by aledgd
Hi All, I am planning to buy an upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64 for my existing PC. My question is: Will I be able to simply get Windows to encrypt the existing HDD retrospectively, after just upgrading or will I have to do a clean install? Thanks Guys!
September 18th 09 02:30 PM
by aledgd Go to last post
0 253
Turning off all security. by AlejoCarril
I am attempting to install a program (Peachtree by Sage) to my new laptop, in order to have the set-up done right it says "Some anti-virus and firewall software interferes with the installation of Peachtree Accounting. We recommend you temporarily disable these applications before continuing; otherwise, the installation may fail. You can safely re-enable this software after installing...
July 1st 08 07:17 AM
by Milo Go to last post
3 171
"WindowsUpdate_800B0100" by [email protected]
when updating the windows vista 32 - update KB950760 I get the error "WindowsUpdate_800B0100". Does anyone know how to fix it?
July 9th 08 08:38 PM
by Engel Go to last post
1 178
Windows Event History Log by Alex
Hi, I want to know I can view an (event) history log of my Windows OS. I have Windows Vista ( SP1, Home Premium, x64).
November 16th 08 06:13 PM
by Bruce Chambers Go to last post
3 267
Router Security Risk? by Alex
Can a computer to infect with viruses throught a router if another computer what is connected to the internet through the same router is navigating some virused websites? What are the changes if the safe computer is having WMP opened and WMP Sharing tab is set to "Find media that others are sharing" but in "Network and Sharing Center" the "Sharing and Discovery" options are set as: Network...
September 29th 08 04:11 AM
by Wayne Go to last post
6 413
[random filename].exe not responding at start up by Alex
i keep on getting .exe not responding every time i start up i am scared that it may be some virus or something i have scanned using avast anti virus windows defender i have run registry cleaners cleaned out my system and the problem is still here
March 24th 08 06:53 PM
by arsmith Go to last post
6 376
Unknown Connections by Alex
( MS Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 x64 ) Hi, Why when I open WMP my computer connects through wmplayer.exe to many IP addresses??? One from Bulgaria, another from Microsoft, another from University of California :-s another from dont know where... My Windows copy is fresh and this happens even if my wmp library is EMPTY. I can't block this thing to happen only if I choose "Work Offline" for my...
September 26th 08 08:30 PM
by Paul Montgumdrop[_2_] Go to last post

From The