Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Fix for Folder View settings problem by brink
Windows Explorer folder view settings will not remember your settings. EX: Detail instead of Large icons, etc....... Go to this link for full details on how to reset it and allow your settings to start to be remembered again. 'http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70...-settings.html (Windows Explorer Folder View settings)' (http://tinyurl.com/ywbqeu) Hope this helps,
June 15th 07 10:36 AM
by brink Go to last post
0 136
why can´t I open .doc and .wps files attached to email? by bitla50
When I try to open a .doc or a .wps file attached to an email, I get an error info. When I save the file and try to open it, all is fine. The same used to be the case with pdf, but that has miraculously repaired itself after an Adobe-update. I have Vista Home Premium and the email program I use is a webmail thing. With XP it worked fine and also with another PC I have with Ultimate and...
June 15th 07 10:48 AM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
7 250
Offline files by GuyP
Hi I'm running Vista Business in a server 2003 domain with roaming profile. I can log in and see all my files on my desktop and synchronise successfully. When I work off line I can still see the files on my desktop but they are transparent and not accessible. When I double click on of the files I get the message "This file is currentley not available for use on this computer". All the...
June 15th 07 11:57 AM
by GuyP Go to last post
0 170
"Favorite Links" in Navigation Pane is (almost) always empty. by PGD
This is very wierd. Just a couple of days ago I installed Vista Ultimate onto my machine - clean install into an empty partition. No upgrade or file & settings transfer...everything is generic. I know a lot of people don't like the "Favorite Links" window in the Explorer navigation pane, but for me it would be very useful - if it actually worked! It almost always displays "(Empty)"...
June 15th 07 05:20 PM
by Ramesh, MS-MVP Go to last post
3 183
How do I change toolbars in folders?! by Jim
In XP to change the folder icons – View-Toolbars-Customize – easy. OK I give up – how can it be done in Vista?! Many thanks
June 15th 07 08:09 PM
by R. C. White Go to last post
4 183
I can find my files. by heatherlee42208
I am a college student and I just got a new laptop. The laptop has Vista on it. everytime I try to upload or attach a file I click on the browse button but none of m files are anywhere to be found. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I am sure it is something I am doing wong but any help is great.
June 16th 07 02:24 AM
by TomLives2000 Go to last post
1 132
automatic sharing by Julian
I can index the contents of a Steganos safe mounted as drive:X but only if it is also shared (so as to give it a network path e.g. \\mypc\thissafe that UNCFATPH - the indexer add in - can use). Mounting the safe is a manual operation because it requires a password. Is there any way to automatically share this device? At the moment I have TWO batch files... 1st says "RUNAS" administrator the...
June 16th 07 07:04 AM
by Julian Go to last post
0 144
Sharing folders and files by Capt. Mike
Hi All - On a home network I need to be able to "see" all folders and files from all compters at all compters. How do I make the entire drive "sharable" so I can access every folder and files from any computer on the network, and not only the "public" folders. Thx.
June 16th 07 03:39 PM
by Jimmy Brush Go to last post
1 143
file preview thumbnails in explorer by [email protected]
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how vista manages the thumbnail previews in explorer. Specifically video previews. And more specifically how to extend or overwrite this functionality. For instance, let's say I develop a new type of video (format or container) how can I develop a utility that could generate previews. Or let's say instead of previewing a random frame in a video I'd like to show 2...
June 16th 07 04:32 PM
by [email protected] Go to last post
0 140
Can't delete by P jay b
I downloaded a game, Word Struck, and couldn't get it to work. It just would not open in Vista. All attempts at uninstalling fail and shift+delete has no effect. Any suggestions as to how I can rid myself of this pest?
June 17th 07 03:03 AM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
4 198
some files are not showing by debauch
some of my files aren't showing up in a folder.....they are picture files, i copied from 1 folder to another and they ARE there. i edited them in paint shop pro and saved as a new file name. the original .pcx and .tga file are still in the folder, but the new ones are not. i can see them in paint shop pro( i can see all the .pcx and .tga files) and open and work with them. in paint shop...
June 17th 07 07:55 AM
by David Dickinson Go to last post
1 164
Stumped by Andy/Bandi
To All Cognoscenti, Greetings! I've started using a 500 GB external HD for backups under Vista Ultimate. All the visible folders on it contain a total of about 300 GB. "Computer" shows about 59 GB free space. Where has the rest disappeared to? I have "Show hidden files" ticked. I've done a "Disk cleanup." What gives? With thanks, Andy
June 17th 07 10:06 AM
by Andy/Bandi Go to last post
5 273
Start Menu Items occasionally dissapearing by GruntFX
I have read through the previous solutions to this problem and does not stop it from happening. I have all games, programs sorted into diffrent folders so it is easy to find. Since about 3 weeks ago, these items reset themselves and dissapear totally. I have twice collected shortcuts from my programs and organised them again in the start menu and now they have all dissapeared again....
June 17th 07 10:16 AM
by GruntFX Go to last post
0 186
Windows Explorer by Phil Adamson
When I access my external hard drive for video explorer keeps closing. There is no error message as such.
June 17th 07 09:02 PM
by Phil Adamson Go to last post
0 166
"Phantom Drive Letter" in Windows Explorer by TomBirmingham
I have two removable drives (a 250 G hard disc & a CF Card Reader). Usually I click the "safely remove" icon before I remove them, but sometimes it doesn't work and/or I forget. Now, I have three "phantom drive letters" in my windows explorer window, and if I plug in my Card Reader it is designated by three drive letters displaying in the Explorer Window. How can I remove these three...
June 18th 07 04:54 PM
by Michael Walraven Go to last post
1 166
MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working... by Mills Architect
Once the Indexing function of Vista is complete, I find that if I have my Outlook2007 (OL) open for more than about 10-15 min, I get the message "MS Search Protocol Host has stopped working...". Once this happens, my e-mails will usually not be available. Also, Calendar, Contacts, etc. True, all you have to do is close out of OL and reopen. But it will be short time then The Message shows...
(Multi-page thread 1 2)
June 18th 07 07:54 PM
by Dave Wood [MS] Go to last post
17 289
Folder Bags... by nick
Hi.. just like many other people, I'm having issues with Vista's ability to save folder views and templates as they're constantly changing on their own accord. This was a little frustrating with XP but at least we had the chance of increasing the saved bags cache to 8000 but I can seem to find a registry hack that will do the same for Vista. At present, I either find myself deleting the...
June 18th 07 11:38 PM
by nick Go to last post
2 219
Vista strips info from pictures and corrupts files!! by Greg
What is Microsoft going to do about the way that Windows Vista (probably something to do with Permissions) strips markers from jpgs thus making them unrreadable when moving files to and from certain USB connected hardware? Is there a solution to the following two problems? 1. I have a vista laptop networked to a XP desktop with a crossover cable (ie not wireless). XP connected to broadband...
June 19th 07 08:25 AM
by Greg Go to last post
0 162
Recent items not displaying by Luke
I have a friend who I installed windows vista home basic for. I have home premium and the recent items works fine but on home basic it just says empty. I have tried everything possible to make it work but I can't find the source of the problem. Can anybody help?? Cheers Luke
June 19th 07 09:44 AM
by André Landreau Go to last post
1 184
Accidental Deletion by Diomedes
This morning I accidentally deleted my "Pictures" sub-folder. It didn't show up in the recycle bin and now I cannot find it. It is quite important, is there anyway to retrieve these files? Thanks!
June 20th 07 06:46 AM
by [email protected] Go to last post

From The