Threads in Forum : Windows Vista File Management Forum Tools Search this Forum Feed Icon
Error in undo/redo of file operation in Windows Vista by Mikkel Staunsholm
This bug just lost me 20 pictures of my new born daughter... Grr. To recreate: 1) open notepad, write 'test1' and save the file as 'test.txt' in a newly created folder. 2) change the text to 'test2' and save the file in the parent folder of the folder you just created - use the 'test.txt' as the file name again. 3) Open the parent folder in a window. 4) Drag 'test.txt' into the newly created...
July 10th 07 07:36 PM
by Mikkel Staunsholm Go to last post
0 115
Vista lies to me about files/folders by LodgeAutoparts
I have just purchased a new high spec' computer with Vista pre-installed. I am using a very old labeling prog. 'Labels Unlimited for Windows'- for Win 95. I copied the entire program via a flash drive onto my new box. This contained a folder called JOBS with 108 files eg example.job and everything works well. I have created a further 322 new files all saved to the folder JOBS. I have printed...
July 10th 07 08:05 PM
by Michael Go to last post
3 111
select all by Saverio A.
why it is no more possible to select files with taste shif and ctrl and also the option select all in the menu not working
July 10th 07 08:42 PM
by Malke Go to last post
3 127
Deleting Junk from vista by Or Tsemah
Does someone know which files can i delete from a vista installation and still make it supportable by MS ? There are alot of Sound\Movie Files in the default vista installation as well as TMP Files and stuff... Or.
July 11th 07 06:54 AM
by Or Tsemah Go to last post
6 266
Reminder: Chats on Backup and Offline Files coming up tomorrow and Wednesday! by Jill Zoeller [MSFT]
I'm excited to announce two upcoming chats on some of the popular Windows Vista features owned by my team. A "chat" is a text-based question and answer session where you ask the questions and we provide the answers. On July 10, we'll answer questions about Offline Files in Windows Vista. On July 11, we'll answer questions about Backup, Complete PC Backup, System Restore, and Shadow Copies in...
July 11th 07 05:03 PM
by Jill Zoeller [MSFT] Go to last post
3 127
Remove Shortcut Arrow - Vista by hummvee69
How do I remove shortcut arrows in Vista? No TweakUI available and I'm yet to find another decent tweak program. Any suggestions please?
July 11th 07 05:46 PM
by Neil Harley Go to last post
2 137
Change File Association by LBL
I want to remove the check from "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" in the "open with" list but it is greyed out. How can change it. Running Vista Home Premium as administrator.
July 11th 07 07:22 PM
by brink Go to last post
1 141
First step by Goran
when I instal widows vista a icon first step from desktop is disapear how I back this icon or programs
July 12th 07 01:08 AM
by Dave Go to last post
1 123
Partitions by Rat_uk
Anyone got any good tips/sites for partitioning in Vista? I want to put my docs, videos etc seperate from the O/S. Last time i tried to move the folders it got all messed up and i'm looking to try it again now that vista has been out for a while. thanks.
July 12th 07 01:24 AM
by Ludwig Go to last post
1 152
"access denied" by bob b
When I click certain files under my name in "users" I get an access denied message. specifically cookies, history, Local settings, application data. How do I open these folders? Thanks in advance. bob
July 12th 07 01:46 AM
by TufftyBob Go to last post
6 230
File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8 by newell
I just purchased a new computer with Vista Home Premium and Works 8. I have received two emails with attachments that I cannot open, one with .doc and the other with .wpd. When I try to open, I get this error message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel." I have gone to "Start - Default...
July 12th 07 03:56 AM
by brink Go to last post
3 131
Used Vista Disk clean up, 40GB gone in a minute !!! by rajeevsharma
Used Vista Disk clean up, 40GB gone in a minute !!! Hi, I used vista disk-cleanup utility to clean up my D: (40GB of music games and stuff) , it showed in the files as: system error memory dump files (few MB's), temporary files (few KB's),recycle bin, setup log files, thumbnales (few MB's) etc....
July 12th 07 12:58 PM
by Mogelijk Go to last post
2 185
Cant See A Particular Folder in Drive D - do not have any folder made invisible by tim
Hi, I thought i lost a folder (accidentally erased it) in drive D,but when i tried to replace that folder and its contents by copying and pasting,I keep getting a message asking me if i want to replace that folder.The folder seems to be invisible in drive D and it also doesnt come up from a Search,it only shows that folder is on drive when when i try to copy and paste the same folder to...
July 12th 07 01:57 PM
by tim Go to last post
0 137
Unable to Relocate "Documents" Folder by jsmartin22
Hello, I just reinstalled vista-Ultimate, and I want to relocate the "Documents" folder to the "D" drive so I can separate my data from the OS, which is installed on the "C" drive. The process to do this is described at the link below. However, I am unable to relocate the "Documents" folder, despite this should be an easy process!! http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=215 When try to move the...
July 13th 07 12:56 AM
by jsmartin22 Go to last post
1 154
Searching for files by size by Inglo
I want to search a folder and all it's subfolders for files less than 20 Kb. When I try Vista says no results. There are 4000 files in said folders and I'd guess about 2000 are less than 20 Kb. Why won't it find them? What do I have to do? Pardon the whining, but XP never had this problem. Plus I don't understand how this indexing works. The personal folder and start menu that it keeps...
July 13th 07 05:10 PM
by Inglo Go to last post
2 123
Folder Display Problem ~ Incorrectly displays as Media Folder by Gemleepur
I have a folder that has no music or media files in, yet it displays itself as a media folder complete with artists name, Album, genre, etc etc. How can I set it to display as a normal folder with size, type and modified status.? TIA..
July 13th 07 08:35 PM
by Dave Go to last post
2 162
Where is my temp files folder, and my cookies folder?? by cbailey01
On WinME I was able to click on C:,Windows, and then there were folders for viewing my cookies and one for viewing my temporary internet files. Now I have Vista, and I can't for the life of me, find these folders! Help please!
July 13th 07 08:45 PM
by Ronnie Vernon MVP Go to last post
2 136
New CCleaner version released by brink
New version of CCleaner released today. 'http://www.ccleaner.com/' (http://www.ccleaner.com/) V1.41.544 - - Fixed IE7 history cleaning in Vista. - Fixed bug in clipboard cleaning. - Added Safari cleaning.
July 13th 07 10:30 PM
by brink Go to last post
0 123
Saving to a specific location by Johnnyboy
I know i'm being real lazy here but when I save a file to a specific folder I look through the folders, for example, my computer: my pictures: holiday then it saves okay yet when i try and save the next file to the same folder i have to click through them all again. Any ideas how I can do it without having to do all that? I'm running Vista.
July 14th 07 01:34 AM
by dumb_schmidt Go to last post
1 135
My folders keep getting Write protected.. by Kenbrain
Hi.. I'm running Vista Home Premium - and my user account is an Admin-account. My folders on my HD keep getting set as write protected - and when I change it ( which is no problem ) - it changes it right back.. It's a problem for some programs, as I keep having to enter licence codes, they don't "stick"
July 14th 07 05:24 AM
by DevilsPGD Go to last post

From The