Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?

Old May 5th 08, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chuck E

Default Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from

Hello, Pragnesh,

I tried to write you but I guess it didn’t get through. I owe you a great
deal of thanks s by following your instructions the whole situation was
completely cleared up. Both the keyboard Zoom and the mouse lateral scroller
activate with only one click of the icon and continue to work throughout the
session. All in all I can say that the improvement is quite dramatic. If I
can write to your supervisor to tell him/her of your help I'll be more than
happy to do so.

While I've got you here three is one other issue that you might be able to
help me with, though I'm not sure if this is something that qualifies as
hardware or if it would be software. At any rate the issue is this. my
operating system is Vista Ultimate SP1 and there is one item that is
something of a bother. On the start line there is an arrow to the right
beyond which is a box with several options one of which is Sleep. For almost
as long as I have had this computer, which came with the Vista, it has been
very reluctant to enter the Sleep mode. If it is working properly the monitor
will shut down and a moment later the computer as indicated by the operation
of the fan also shuts down leaving the power light blinking slowly. To
reawaken the computer one can either press any key or slick the mouse and the
computer will return to the state it was in before the Sleep selection. Ever
since I've had the computer however it has been reluctant to go to sleep.
When I first got it would go to sleep probably 3 times of five, but that
frequency has steadily diminished; since installing SP1 it got noticeably
worse to the point where it will go to sleep at the most 1 out of 10
attempts. The rest of the time after clicking on the sleep command the
monitor will shut down followed a few seconds later by the hard drive light.
The power light, however, stays on steadily and indefinitely. There are no
inputs of any kind that have any effect on the computer. The only way to shut
it down is to press and hold the power button for several seconds until the
power is in fact shut off. When it comes to restarting the computer the power
button must be pushed and then it proceeds through the beginning of the
startup procedure. There then appears a screen that gives the option to
“Restart Windows Normally.” If this is not clicked the computer seems to go
into a mode of some sort of self check which takes at least several minutes.
After selecting the “Start Windows Normally” it does seem to go through a
normal sequence of starting. When the restart is complete it simply comes to
the user selection screen and then the desktop. There is no return to the
condition of preceding the sleep attempt. I read somewhere that another way
to trigger the sleep mode is to press the Start button between the Cntrl key
and the Alt key, then move on almost immediately to press the Right arrow
key, followed by Enter. This has worked perhaps once or twice, but sleep is
not entered it goes through the same procedure as with the sleep selection at
the end of the Start bar. It is actually easiest to choose “Shut Down” rather
than sleep. I know that all this is a bit unusual, and though I wrote to
Gateway about it their answer did ne no good at all. That is why I certainly
hope that as an actual Microsoft representative you can maybe come up with
ideas as effective as your setting straight the Keyboard and Mouse. Your
directions were quite clear and as soon as they had been instituted the
problem was gone. By the way, you mentioned changing the USB ports and I did
try that, but there was no difference afterward. It was the other steps that
seemed to be quite effective and I thank you for your help.