Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?

Old January 27th 08, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
turnstyle

Default Is your Vista slow to re-establish the network after wake from sleep?

Hi all, just wondering if a problem I'm having is limited to me, or if
it's a general Vista thing.

If you put your Vista PC (I'm on a laptop) to sleep, then wake it, and
(right after it wakes) try to visit a Web site -- does it take a
little while before that works for you?

With XP / Win200 I can immediately get online after it wakes, but with
Vista I have to wait -- so I'm curious to know if others have the same
problem, or if there's something funky about my setup.

So, if you have a sec -- it would be great if you might put yours to
sleep, wake it, and then try to visit a site -- does that work right
away for you, or do you have to wait too?

Thnanks! -Scott
Old January 27th 08, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kerry Brown

"turnstyle" wrote in message
Hi all, just wondering if a problem I'm having is limited to me, or if
it's a general Vista thing.

If you put your Vista PC (I'm on a laptop) to sleep, then wake it, and
(right after it wakes) try to visit a Web site -- does it take a
little while before that works for you?

With XP / Win200 I can immediately get online after it wakes, but with
Vista I have to wait -- so I'm curious to know if others have the same
problem, or if there's something funky about my setup.

So, if you have a sec -- it would be great if you might put yours to
sleep, wake it, and then try to visit a site -- does that work right
away for you, or do you have to wait too?

Thnanks! -Scott

This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
driver. Do you have the latest driver?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old January 27th 08, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
turnstyle

This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
driver. Do you have the latest driver?

fwiw, it's a Thinkpad with the Intel B/G/N wi-fi card (the 4965AGN) --
according to the IBM/Lenovo site, it is up-to-date.

However your question made me think to try the same with the wired
connetion -- so I disabled the wi-fi, plugged in the Ethernet -- and
that worked as expected (ie, I'm online as soon as it wakes).

So this only happens for me over wi-fi -- anything else I might try?

Do you (or anybody else here) have a Vista laptop with wi-fi? If you
wake from sleep, are you immediately online, or do you have to wait
before it comes back?

Thanks kindly! -Scott
Old January 27th 08, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kerry Brown

"turnstyle" wrote in message
This is dependent on many things. The first thing to check is your NIC
driver. Do you have the latest driver?

fwiw, it's a Thinkpad with the Intel B/G/N wi-fi card (the 4965AGN) --
according to the IBM/Lenovo site, it is up-to-date.

However your question made me think to try the same with the wired
connetion -- so I disabled the wi-fi, plugged in the Ethernet -- and
that worked as expected (ie, I'm online as soon as it wakes).

So this only happens for me over wi-fi -- anything else I might try?

Do you (or anybody else here) have a Vista laptop with wi-fi? If you
wake from sleep, are you immediately online, or do you have to wait
before it comes back?

Thanks kindly! -Scott

You may want to try the latest driver direct from Intel. Intel seems to be
having a problem with drivers for that chipset. I have an Acer laptop that
uses a Broadcom wireless chipset. I had to try several drivers before I
found one that worked properly when resuming from sleep. The one I'm using
is actually an older driver from last June.

Old January 27th 08, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
turnstyle

Just curious -- if you sleep/wake your Acer with the wi-fi, does it re-
establish the network immediately? (ie, it would be interesting to
know if this happens for all Vista wi-fi connections, or just the
4965AGN)

Thanks! -Scott
Old January 27th 08, 07:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kerry Brown

"turnstyle" wrote in message
Just curious -- if you sleep/wake your Acer with the wi-fi, does it re-
establish the network immediately? (ie, it would be interesting to
know if this happens for all Vista wi-fi connections, or just the
4965AGN)

Thanks! -Scott

From sleep it establishes immediately. From hibernation I usually have to do
a manual re-connect.

Old January 27th 08, 08:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
turnstyle

Thanks for trying that -- so at least that means that Vista itself is
capable of re-establishing the network reasonably fast after it wakes
from sleep. (I just timed mine and it takes another 30-35 seconds
after I get the desktop).

Apart from updating the wi-fi driver, is there anything else that you
might suggest?

thanks again, -Scott
Old January 27th 08, 08:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kerry Brown

"turnstyle" wrote in message
Thanks for trying that -- so at least that means that Vista itself is
capable of re-establishing the network reasonably fast after it wakes
from sleep. (I just timed mine and it takes another 30-35 seconds
after I get the desktop).

Apart from updating the wi-fi driver, is there anything else that you
might suggest?

Make sure you have all the reliability updates installed.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...soft.com&meta=

Or wait for SP1 which includes all of the updates.

Old January 27th 08, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Curious

How are you connected to the internet? If using a router make sure it is
set up to refresh its connection to your ISP every 5 minutes or so, so that
the connection will not drop when you are not actively connected to the
router.

Old January 27th 08, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
turnstyle

Thanks,

But it's not likely the router or wi-fi adapter -- I do have other
laptops here on wi-fi that do re-establish the network immediately
upon wake (one XP with B/G, and one Win2k with B).

I've only seen this with the Vista with 4965AGN...

-Scott