Do you want to know what really ****es me off?

Old August 31st 06, 11:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MICHAEL

Default Do you want to know what really ****es me off?

Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

I thought I was over this. Obviously, I am not.

WMP 11, WMA, and DRM suck arse!

I *bought* a whole bunch of music from MSN Music,
not the restricted subscription songs, but paid for
the songs and albums, outright. I also had bought
music from Napster and Rhapsody. But, most of the
music was bought from MSN Music.

In WMP 10, you use to be able to backup and
restore your licenses. You can no longer do
that with WMP 11. You could put your songs
on five machines, by "authorizing" each computer.
I have hundreds of songs that I *purchased*, on
my WinXP Pro partition- I can not play them in
Vista. When I go to play a song, I am notified that
the license must be acquired. WMP 11 pops up a
window and I select "I've already purchased song".
BUT NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! This was the same
in Beta 2 5384. It is the same for all music I
purchased from other music sites. This process of
restoring your music that you *paid* for use to be so
simple. Now, it is a ridiculous pain in the arse.
I know I must have spent over a $1000, just at MSN
Music over the last two years. Built a huge library of
music, and I did it the "legal" way. I'm tired of all the bullsht
Microsoft and the music companies make consumers go
through now in order to listen to music that was paid for.
It's no wonder piracy still runs rampant. This DRM crap
doesn't stop the real pirates, it is only a huge inconvenience
to folks wanting to do the "right" thing.

Yes, I can go back into WinXP Pro and burn my music
to a CD and then rip it to Vista. It shouldn't have to be that
damn difficult. "Fair use rights" my arse.

I will never again pay for music that is WMA DRM crap, from
any website- especially, not MSN Music or Urge.

Limewire Pro looks more appealing every single day.

-Michael

Old August 31st 06, 12:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Scott

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

I thought I was over this. Obviously, I am not.

WMP 11, WMA, and DRM suck arse!

DRM, sucks period.

I *bought* a whole bunch of music from MSN Music,
not the restricted subscription songs, but paid for
the songs and albums, outright. I also had bought
music from Napster and Rhapsody. But, most of the
music was bought from MSN Music.
In WMP 10, you use to be able to backup and
restore your licenses. You can no longer do
that with WMP 11. You could put your songs
on five machines, by "authorizing" each computer.

They took that one from Apple.

I have hundreds of songs that I *purchased*, on
my WinXP Pro partition- I can not play them in
Vista. When I go to play a song, I am notified that
the license must be acquired. WMP 11 pops up a
window and I select "I've already purchased song".
BUT NOTHING EVER HAPPENS! This was the same
in Beta 2 5384.

I'd file a bug report.

Yes, I can go back into WinXP Pro and burn my music
to a CD and then rip it to Vista. It shouldn't have to be that
damn difficult. "Fair use rights" my arse.

I use iTunes. I was able to authorize this "computer" (i.e. my Vista
Partition) and play my stuff just fine.

I will never again pay for music that is WMA DRM crap, from
any website- especially, not MSN Music or Urge.

Limewire Pro looks more appealing every single day.

Honestly, DRM does excactly the opposite of what it's designed to do. DRM
encourages people to steal.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old August 31st 06, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Homer J. Simpson

I will never again pay for music that is WMA DRM crap, from
any website- especially, not MSN Music or Urge.

Sorry to hear that somebody actually had to go through that crap to finally
come to that realization...

Old August 31st 06, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MICHAEL

"Homer J. Simpson" wrote in message
I will never again pay for music that is WMA DRM crap, from
any website- especially, not MSN Music or Urge.

Sorry to hear that somebody actually had to go through that crap to finally come to that
realization...

Me, too. :-/

A wise man once said:

"Honestly, DRM does exactly the opposite of what it's designed to do. DRM
encourages people to steal." -Scott

I emphatically agree!

-Michael

Old August 31st 06, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MICHAEL

It's not just about it being a beta. In WMP 10, you could backup your licenses
and restore your licenses very simply.

You can not do that with WMP 11. Every single license has to be
redownloaded individually for each song and from the site the song
came from. You no longer have a right to a backup. Your "backup"
belongs on a remote site. Dependent on you having an internet connection,
the website being available- you are dependent on *them*. What if
Napster goes out of business? MSN Music closes? Rhapsody shuts down?
There should be a permanent way to have a backup file locally. The
only other option is to burn all of your songs to CDs, and then rip them
back to the computer. The whole thing is a mess. You can't convert
protected WMA files unless you burn them, and you can't just backup
the WMA files to a secondary drive- you need the licenses. If the DRM
folder or licenses become corrupted, you have to retrieve them all over
again.

There will be a mess created for those who haven't upgraded to WMP 11,
yet. When they upgrade WinXP to Vista, and find out the option to backup
and restore licenses has been removed from WMP- there are going to be some
upset folks.

-Michael

Old August 31st 06, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mark D. VandenBerg

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
[...]

The long way around, but it works:

Burn each song onto a CD as a .wav, not a .mp3. Delete your digital copy of
each song. Rip the CD's back into .mp3's. And, PRESTO! Not only is Bob
your uncle, but you have now gotten rid of the DRM and the need for the
licenses.

I think I read it somewhere...

Old August 31st 06, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
MICHAEL

"Mark D. VandenBerg" wrote in message

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

I thought I was over this. Obviously, I am not.

WMP 11, WMA, and DRM suck arse!

The long way around, but it works:

Burn each song onto a CD as a .wav, not a .mp3. Delete your digital copy of each song. Rip
the CD's back into .mp3's. And, PRESTO! Not only is Bob your uncle, but you have now gotten
rid of the DRM and the need for the licenses.

Thanks, Mark. Yes, it does work. It's just a pain in the arse.
I have many WMA files and whole albums that I have downloaded.
I will just have to spend a couple of days and get it done.

I think I read it somewhere...

;-)

Take care,

Michael

Old August 31st 06, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Mark D. VandenBerg

"MICHAEL" wrote in message

"Mark D. VandenBerg" wrote in message

The long way around, but it works:

Burn each song onto a CD as a .wav, not a .mp3. Delete your digital copy
of each song. Rip the CD's back into .mp3's. And, PRESTO! Not only is
Bob your uncle, but you have now gotten rid of the DRM and the need for
the licenses.

Thanks, Mark. Yes, it does work. It's just a pain in the arse.
I have many WMA files and whole albums that I have downloaded.
I will just have to spend a couple of days and get it done.

I think I read it somewhere...

;-)

Take care,

Michael

Pain in the arse only begins to describe DRM'd files, whether audio or
video. I have a fair amount of time and a little money invested in TIVO and
Slingbox products, and yet there are many things I am not allowed to do with
A/V files that I have purchased. I have downloaded exactly 2 music files
that have DRM attached, and that was it form me. I joined BMG and now just
purchase the albums on CD or the movies on DVD. Perhaps a little more
money, but so much less in aggravation!

Put on a pot of coffee, and settle in. Do it a little at a time. Find a
child or grandchild to do it for you.

Best of luck!

Mark

Old August 31st 06, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Scott

Mark D. VandenBerg wrote:

The long way around, but it works:

Burn each song onto a CD as a .wav, not a .mp3. Delete your digital copy of
each song. Rip the CD's back into .mp3's. And, PRESTO! Not only is Bob
your uncle, but you have now gotten rid of the DRM and the need for the
licenses.

The only downside iis there is some degradation in sound quality with
that procedure. But it's better than nothing.

--
Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com