Spooler SubSystem App

« - | - »

Old March 7th 08, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Default Spooler SubSystem App

You need the values under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

Directory this is a string value

MajorVersion this is a DWORD set to 3

MinorVersion this is a DWORD set to 0

If you do restore the key from backup be sure to delete the driver named
keys.

You most likely still have a connection to the printer attached to \\RITA

the registry for the connection is under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections

delete the ,,RITA,,printname key

are there any spl files in
\windows\system32\spool\printers

if there are, delete or move the spl and shd files

now start the spooler.

if that fails again, delete the printer

Microsoft XPS Document Writer

but I can't see how that would matter since there is not a driver and you
should get a system event that the printer was not enumerated due to no
driver (I think this is event 28).

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Great. one step closer. I wanted to confirm that the spooler did not
throw
an error during initialization to the service control manager.

Fantasic. I was worried we were not getting any closer to a solution.

Let me make this assumption: You have a 32 bit OS and you have removed
any
print vender specific software installed using a vendor provided tool or
Add/Remove Software.

Yes, I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit.

No, I had not yet uninstalled the printer software, but I have now. I was
not able to uninstall the printer driver software through Add/Remove
because
it said it was already uninstalled.

Now, what print drivers, print processors, and monitors are installed on
the
system? Right click the keys and you can select "Copy Key Name"

print drivers (there should be a directory and major, minor values
here).
There should not be a Version-2 key under drivers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

There is nothing here except the default key. I do not have the
directory,
major, minor keys because one of the web based solutiuon sites said to
delete
every subkey under this directory. I did make a backup of this registry
key,
so I can restore it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

print processors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Print Processors\winprint

It has the default key and a driver key with value localspl.dll

monitors
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Local
Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\Standard
TCP/IP Port\Ports\192.168.254.254
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors\USB
Monitor

You said you had already deleted the printers under this key, please
verify
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers\Microsoft
XPS Document Writer

Also there are two key values set under printers: DefaultSpoolDirectory
and
LANGIDOfLastDefaultDevmode

does the machine have any printer connections?

My printer (Epson Stylus Photo R280) is still connected by USB cable, but
turned off

Are there any entries listed here?
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers

NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Forms
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Monitors
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Printers
NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print
Provider\Servers\RITA\Providers

That is my wife's computer which is connected by LAN. There is a local
printer (Canon) installed on her machine. But it is not listed in the
printers subkey.

Thanks again for all the help.

Old March 7th 08, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Dear Alan,

You need the values under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3

Directory this is a string value

MajorVersion this is a DWORD set to 3

MinorVersion this is a DWORD set to 0

If you do restore the key from backup be sure to delete the driver named
keys.

Okay, I restored the key and then deleted the driver named keys, except
Microsoft XPS Document Writer

You most likely still have a connection to the printer attached to \\RITA

the registry for the connection is under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections

delete the ,,RITA,,printname key

You were correct. That key has now been deleted.

are there any spl files in
\windows\system32\spool\printers

No, there were no files at all in that directory.

if there are, delete or move the spl and shd files

now start the spooler.

if that fails again, delete the printer

Microsoft XPS Document Writer

It did fail again, but I decided not to delete that printer yet until
searching through the registry for all keys that relate to the printers that
have been installed on this system at one time or another. I found these
keys.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2943314224-2146634662-2678190527-1000\Printers\Settings

These each have a binary subkey for a Lexmark printer which is no longer used

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModePerUser
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2943314224-2146634662-2678190527-1000\Printers\DevModePerUser

These each have two binary subkeys for the Epson printer that is locally
connected

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\DevModes2
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2943314224-2146634662-2678190527-1000\Printers\DevModes2

These each have a binary subkey for the Epson printer that is locally
connected

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\USBPR INT\EPSONStylus_Photo_R280
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\USBPR INT\EPSONStylus_Photo_R280
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_R280

I did nothing with these keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SBPRINT\EPSONStylus_Photo_R280\6&1847499c&0&USB001 \Properties

That key returned an error message when I tried to open it

I also found and deleted this key

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-2943314224-2146634662-2678190527-1000\Software\Printers\Connections\,,RITA,Canon PIXMA iP4000

Finally, I did backup and then delete these two keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-3\Microsoft XPS Document Writer
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Printers\Microsoft
XPS Document Writer

But I am still receiving the same error message. So I restored them.

What do I try next? Do I need to do something with the other keys that I
listed above?

Thanks again for your patience with me.
Old March 10th 08, 02:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Was this an upgrade from XP or new install?

Which lexmark printer model?

Look in \windows\system32 for any lex* files.

are any crash files created when the spooler terminates?

on a elevated command line
cd\
dir spooler* /s

I'm looking for these files in the WER directory

Directory of
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\R eport17218c57

02/08/2008 10:16 AM DIR .
02/08/2008 10:16 AM DIR ..
02/18/2008 10:38 AM 6,018 Report.wer
02/08/2008 10:15 AM 75,222 spooler.xml
02/08/2008 10:16 AM 506 WER7F9A.tmp.version.txt
02/08/2008 10:16 AM 18,576 WER7F9B.tmp.appcompat.txt
02/08/2008 10:16 AM 41,877,089 WER7FAC.tmp.hdmp
02/08/2008 10:16 AM 2,485,025 WER8B70.tmp.mdmp

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

"Eddie" wrote in message
news
Dear Alan,

Old March 10th 08, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Dear Alan,

Was this an upgrade from XP or new install?

This was a new install. I built this machine in 11/2007

Which lexmark printer model?

Z-82 All-in-one. Lexmark never created Vista drivers for it so I could not
use it.

Look in \windows\system32 for any lex* files.

The only Lexmark file I could find was this:

LXACSUI.DLL - Lexmark Z52 System Driver UI Customization Plug-in

are any crash files created when the spooler terminates?

Okay, I found the directory you asked about.

I do not know how to cut and paste from a command window, but here are the
file names.

Report.wer 4KB
SpoolerETW.etl 4KB
WER52C6.tmp.hdmp 3,357 KB
WER60F0.tmp.mdmp 768 KB
WER520A.tmp.appcompat.txt 19 KB
WER5209.tmp.version.txt 1 KB

all of these are dated 3/1/2008

Thanks again for your work on this. Let me know what to do next.
Old March 11th 08, 03:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Good. Do you have an XP machine on your network?. Or a neighbors. There
is a file called ntsd.exe in \windows\system32. This is a debugger file not
shipped in Vista.

Copy the file WER52C6.tmp.hdmp to the XP machine or you can do this over
the network

in a command window
ntsd -z WER52C6.tmp.hdmp

this will open a window and stop at a prompt

type k at the prompt and this will dump the stacktrace of the failure

to copy and paste from a command window set the properties (left click the
little command icon in the upper left of the window frame) of the window and
enable the QuickEdit mode.

This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(1e3c.33c): Unknown exception - code c0000374 (first/second chance not
available
)
ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0xa:
00000000`77955aba c3 ret

0:340 k
ntdll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0xa
ntdll!RtlpLogHeapFailure+0xa4
ntdll!RtlpFreeHeap+0x159c
ntdll!RtlFreeHeap+0x1a2
found. Defaulted to export symbols for hpzu
kernel32!HeapFree+0xa
??zui5io!DllGetClassObject+0x16b074
??zui5io!DllGetClassObject+0x9b9
??zui5io!DllGetClassObject+0xe3f
UNIDRVUI!VFreeSinglePluginEntry+0x80

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base he

Dear Alan,

Old March 12th 08, 01:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Dear Alan,

OK, here is is what I got from running ntsd

User Mini Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

WARNING: Minidump contains unknown stream type 0xe
WARNING: Minidump contains unknown stream type 0x10
WARNING: Minidump contains unknown stream type 0xf

Microsoft (R) Windows User-Mode Debugger Version 5.1.2600.0

Loaded dbghelp extension DLL
The call to LoadLibrary(ext) failed with error 2.
Please check your debugger configuration and/or network access
Loaded exts extension DLL
The call to LoadLibrary(uext) failed with error 2.
Please check your debugger configuration and/or network access
Loaded ntsdexts extension DLL
Windows XP Version 6000 UP Free x86 compatible
Debug session time: Sat Mar 01 07:45:33 2008
System Uptime: not available
Symbol search path is: *** Invalid *** : Verify _NT_SYMBOL_PATH setting
Executable search path is:
************************************************** *******************
* Symbols can not be loaded because symbol path is not initialized. *
* *
* The Symbol Path can be set by: *
* using the _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable. *
* using the -y symbol_path argument when starting the debugger. *
* using .sympath and .sympath+ *
************************************************** *******************
WaitForEvent failed, Win32 error 87
"The parameter is incorrect."
When WaitForEvent fails on dump files the current state is not displayed
0:004 k
ChildEBP RetAddr
00dfe540 77d8637f 0x77d50f34
00dfe580 77d9f158 0x77d8637f
00dfe594 77d9f1de 0x77d9f158
00dfea1c 77d9fcef 0x77d9f1de
00dfea2c 77d9fddd 0x77d9fcef
00dfea60 77da004f 0x77d9fddd
00dfeab8 77d6da07 0x77da004f
00dfebac 77d51c21 0x77d6da07
00dfebc8 766a7a7e 0x77d51c21
00dfebdc 77b0a097 0x766a7a7e
00dfec28 6cb2ae1e 0x77b0a097
00dfec38 6cb2b155 0x6cb2ae1e
00dfec50 6cb2b62f 0x6cb2b155
00dfec68 6cb21418 0x6cb2b62f
00dfec8c 6cb23dc2 0x6cb21418
00dfeca8 6af3fd45 0x6cb23dc2
00dfeef4 6af40111 0x6af3fd45
00dff344 6af45d95 0x6af40111
00dff77c 6af462a7 0x6af45d95
00dffa18 6b059317 0x6af462a7
0:004 .ecxr.
eax=00dfe9b4 ebx=00000000 ecx=7fffffff edx=00000000 esi=00710000 edi=012b0e68
eip=77d9f1c9 esp=00dfe9a4 ebp=00dfea1c iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=001b ss=0023 ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003b gs=0000 efl=00000246
77d9f1c9 eb1c jmp 77d9f1e7
^ Extra character error in '.ecxr.'
0:004

I trust this stuff makes sense to you. Let me know what to do next.
Old March 12th 08, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

At this point it does not make sense. I need the symbol files to link the
functions and binary names.

maybe you can just send me the file?

alanmo
microsoft.com

Old March 14th 08, 01:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Alan,

EUREKA!!! I finally am able to print.

I looks like the PortNumber value is wrong.

Delete the port entry and start the spooler, you can add the port later.

What will I need to do to add the TCP/IP port? Won't I need that to be able
to print across the network? Also, one further question - should I delete
the registry keys relating to the old Lexmark printer that is no longer used?

Thank you very much.

If the spooler has started, don't bother

Launch Add Printer specifying local printer and Create a new Standard TCP/IP port with the hostname or static IP of the print server device or network card on the printer.

« - | - »