Deleting Vista Search Folders

Old March 25th 08, 04:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_13_]

Default Deleting Vista Search Folders

Hmmmmm...
It works even without the Attrib command. Though I don't understand
why I have to change directory first???

This works:
CD C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery
DEL Pictures.pd4

and this does NOT work:
DEL C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Photo
Gallery\Pictures.pd4

Oh, I'm leaving on a mini vacation. So if someone replies I may not
read your reply for a while...

--
pvc
Old March 25th 08, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

At a command prompt Type attrib /? for help on the attrib command.

You probably "get no access to the files" because WPG does not save files to
the WPG folder/directory. Files are saved to the same folder/directory you
opened them from.

"pvc" wrote in message
news

Bob;661215 Wrote:
This works from a cmd prompt or a batch file.

attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
-------
*Report back, please*

Thanks Bob;
When I do a dir C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s
Photo Gallery I get a file not found. I can look at these files; dir
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft but when I add the Windows
Photo Gallery folder I get no access to the files.

I don't understand how to use attrib -r -a -s -h??? Can you show me
the exact format?

--
pvc

Old March 26th 08, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Because of the spaces in the name of 'Windows Photo Gallery', you need to
enclose the entire path in quotes:

DEL "C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s Photo
Gallery\Pictures.pd4"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

news

Old March 28th 08, 08:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_14_]

Keith Miller \(MVP\);662954 Wrote:
Because of the spaces in the name of 'Windows Photo Gallery', you need
enclose the entire path in quotes:

DEL "C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s Photo
Gallery\Pictures.pd4"

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]

Yep, enclosing the entire path in quotes works just fine.

--
pvc
Old April 1st 08, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_15_]

I have another folder that is giving me trouble (Temporary Internet
Files). I can delete the files manually. But I cannot delete them from
an automated script (.cmd) file. Also I tried placing the entire path
in quotes because the folder name contains spaces. btw I use Mozilla
Firefox instead of Internet Explorer:

DEL "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\*.*"

--
pvc
Old April 1st 08, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, pvc.

I'm not sure if those TIF files can be deleted while IE is running. TIF
files don't behave like "normal" files and are best handled by IE's Tools |
Internet Options. On the first (General) page, under Browsing history,
there are buttons to Delete or to change the TIF files.

In Tools | Internet Options | Advanced, under Security (the last category),
you can check the box to "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser
is closed". Does this accomplish what you are trying to do?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

news

Old April 1st 08, 10:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

Dan,
This works for me.

del /y "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\*.*"

attrib -h "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\*.*"

-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

news

Old April 2nd 08, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
pvc[_16_]

Bob;669505 Wrote:
Dan,
This works for me.

del /y "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\*.*"

attrib -h "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary
Internet
Files\*.*"

I can't get the files deleted using the DEL command. For that matter I
cannot even SEE the files with a simple DIR command. It seems to be the
same before or after removing the hidden attribute via "ATTRIB -h".

When I do a:
DIR "C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temp orary Internet
Files\*.*"
I see only directories, no files.

03/23/2008 07:28 PM DIR .
03/23/2008 07:28 PM DIR ..
03/23/2008 07:28 PM DIR Low
0 File(s) 0 bytes
3 Dir(s) 92,626,878,564 bytes free

The files magically appear and can be deleted manually (using
Start/Computer/C:...) but I want to delete the files from an automated
script (.cmd) file.

--
pvc
Old April 2nd 08, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

See if this works for you:
attrib -r -a -s -h del /y [drive] path] [filename]
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"pvc" wrote in message
news

Old April 3rd 08, 07:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Keith Miller \(MVP\)

Try dir /a

There's a hidden subdirectory structure under Content.IE5

From the TIF directory, this deleted a bunch of files for me:

del /a /s /q *.*

though some still showed via the IE - Options interface. But I forgot to
check that before deletion

--
Good Luck,

Keith