Cannot delete file

Old March 24th 08, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
minnow52

Default Cannot delete file

When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out what
program is running that file?
Old March 24th 08, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

minnow52 wrote:

When trying to delete a file from a folder, it says "The action can't be
completed because the file is open in another program. How do I find out
what program is running that file?

It depends on what kind of file it is. Since you didn't tell us, how can
anyone guess?

As a general troubleshooting step, you can try deleting the Mystery File in
Safe Mode.

To get into Safe Mode, restart the computer and repeatedly tap the F8 key as
the computer is starting up. This will bring you to the correct menu. Use
your arrow key and the Enter key to select Safe Mode.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Old March 24th 08, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bob

To delete the file close all open programs.
Open an admin command prompt.
Type attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
(e.g. "C:\Users\minnow52\Documents\minnow52.doc")
Press Enter.
-------
*Report back, please*

Old March 24th 08, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
minnow52

Sorry about that. New to this. (As you can tell.)
It is an AVI movie video that is in my My Documents/Movies Folder

Old March 24th 08, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke[_2_]

minnow52 wrote:

Sorry about that. New to this. (As you can tell.)
It is an AVI movie video that is in my My Documents/Movies Folder

First of all, I assume you really mean the file lives in
%systemdrive%\Users\your-user-account\Movies because there is no "My
Documents" in Vista. The whole Documents and Settings [My-foldername]
hierarchy doesn't exist in Vista. The Documents and Settings and subfolders
you see are virtual, junctions there only for backwards compatibility with
older software that expects those locations to exist.

You can try Bob's method or go into Safe Mode.

Malke

Old March 24th 08, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
minnow52

Thanks a lot for all your help. Was able to delete the 2 movie files
following your instructions just like you said. Once again thanks for your
help and I'm making sure that I put this forum into my FAVORITES.