Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

How to allow someone to access my computer with their own username

Old July 2nd 08, 10:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Smithy963

Default How to allow someone to access my computer with their own username

Hi,

I'm using a laptop, running windows vista. A friend and I often share files
between us and when connecting to my computer via network he uses my username
and password to connect and take the files I have shared.

Ideally I would like him to click on my computer in the network then
automatically view my files under his own account name, or at least be able
to type in his own username and password. BUT I do not want to have another
account active on my own computer. (ie, 2 user accounts available on my log
in screen).

Also, I obviously do not want any security flaws so only he can access my
computer with his details.

Many thanks in advance,

Smithy963.
Old July 2nd 08, 12:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Smithy963

Default How to allow someone to access my computer with their own user

What?

You are trying to tell me there is noway to share a file and give
permissions to a remote user account not on my computer.

-or-

Create a new user account specifically for him and disable it from appearing
on my log in screen.

Its my Laptop and he will never be accessing my computer physically, thus
its pointless having a whole user account and icon for him.
Old July 2nd 08, 12:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Smithy963

Your saying that for 2 people, with 2 computers need 4 accounts to access
both computers at all times....

This is ineffecient and pointless, similar to your post, don't post in my
thread aagain. thank you.
Old July 2nd 08, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Smithy963

I seem to be in a bad mood today along with sensing hostility in your

Thank you for your support and advice. This is not the solution I am idealy
looking for as I have 4 friends that will access my computer and for seperate
persmissions for each person would require 16 users accounts over all 4
computers.

Shaun.

Old July 2nd 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Smithy963

I seem to be in a bad mood today along with sensing hostility in your

Thank you for your support and advice. This is not the solution I am idealy
looking for as I have 4 friends that will access my computer and for seperate
persmissions for each person would require 16 users accounts over all 4
computers.

I can assure you I am doing my research, It is true I dont fully understand
windows security.

If I am excused of my outburst would you consider suggesting a practical
approach to my problem...

There are 4 computers.

We could be connecting in any number of different locations so a
server/domain based system seems to be out of the question.

I would prefer different shared folders and different permissions for each
user, so 1 user account and telling my friends the same account details is
also not applicable.

And if at all possible I would prefer not to have 4 different accounts on my
computer and have to change various options for each user on every machine
when needed.

Is there a solution via hacks/software development/any solution at all...
that would allow me to use a remote account to set permissions and logg in
details.
Old July 2nd 08, 04:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Smithy963

Thanks for your support, advice and peserverence.

I think I'll have to do as you suggest and then hide them from the welcome
screen.

Thanks again,

Shaun.
Old July 2nd 08, 09:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Richard G. Harper

Unfortunately, unless you are willing and able to move to a domain based
network model, that's what is going to have to happen. There is no way to
cause one computer to trust an account that is trusted on another, nor to
use an account from one PC to access information or data on another PC. A
domain based network can do this because it centralizes the security data
but you would need to run a server operating system on one computer and all
computers would need to be able to reach and log onto the domain.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old July 3rd 08, 09:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Mick Murphy

Smithy, read below about Networking. I included XP as well.
In Vista's Network and Sharing, you can turn OFF password protected Sharing;
no extra user accounts to set up.

And ONLY allow Public folder Sharing, which is the same as XP's shared docs.
It is a network, so you all have to be going through the same router, wired
or wirelessly.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

work for XP machines!).

OR under Accessories Communications Network Setup Wizard Allow File
and Printer Sharing.

--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old July 3rd 08, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Bruce Chambers

Smithy963 wrote:

Ideally I would like him to click on my computer in the network then
automatically view my files under his own account name, or at least be able
to type in his own username and password. BUT I do not want to have another
account active on my own computer. (ie, 2 user accounts available on my log
in screen).

You two above stated desires are mutually exclusive. If you want your
friend to access your computer using his own login name and password,
then you'll have to create an account for him to do so.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.