Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

"Check your user account settings"

Old July 11th 07, 07:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Barrie

Default "Check your user account settings"

In order to get rid of the irritating check window that comes up so often, on
a single-user machine I have eliminated my user account, just staying as the
administrator. That works fine but now I get a window opening at every
startup saying "Check your User Account Settings." One irritation has been
replaced by another. Can I get rid of this new one?
Old July 12th 07, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Spenceation

I don't recommend using "the adminstrator" account. You can use an admin
account and disable the pop-ups that show up. Use this link to Disable UAC,
the check window.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...ablingUAC.html

You can also leave it enabled, but just change settings on it. Let me know
if this helps.

Old July 12th 07, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Barrie

I am a little confused about this. First, I understand the hazard of doing
away with the User account, and MS's decision that I need more protection
than I ever had with the many versions of Windows I used previously, now that
I have Vista. I have decided that, given that I am using various third party
software to block intruders, the risk/benefit balance of my decision comes
out on the side of getting rid of the excessive messages. By doing what I
have done, most software opens without any problem. Sometimes there is a
message that I need an administrator account but, when I click on Run, it
opens anyway. What does the software to which you pointed me do? Will it
get rid of the StartUp window that says "Check User Account Settings" or is
it directed at the popups that I have already avoided?

Old July 12th 07, 11:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Spenceation

The settings that I have directed you to are to disable the pop-ups so you
can run as another user. The reason for the pop-ups in the first place is
that when you run as an account you will run with administrative privileges.
When you need these priveleges the pop-up box will show up and ask your
permission to give you the ability to perform these tasks. This way if a
virus or other malicious code is running, you have to actually see the pop-up
box and approve it to run, eliminating it. When you use the administrator
account, it completely bypasses this and always runs with full permissions.
This helps hide viruses and run malicious code. Also running with the account
named "Administrator" is a huge security risk, and it is better to either
rename the account or create another account named something else and disable
the Administrator account. I would recommened creating a new account and just
disabling the pop-ups with the guide I sent. It is the easiest solution.

Old July 14th 07, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Barrie

To diagnose that message you are receiving properly, we need to know what
you have done when setting up any new user accounts. Did you create a new
user account and name it "Administrator" ?

Have you enabled the built-in administrator account? If so, how did you do
this? Have you turned UAC off?

How many accounts are currently on the system and what type of accounts are
they, administrator or standard user?

Have you opened Control Panel / User Accounts and checked for any error
messages or information messages there?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old July 3rd 08, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
BarneyMaroon

In answer to the questions below. I have only one account. It is
administrator. I like UAC, but had to turn it off because it stopped me
from downloading or saving pdf files and .exe files from web pages using
IE (firefox was fine however). Annoyingly
it would tell me I was saving them, download 100%, and then the file
was nowhere to be found. Now when I login I get an annoying message
telling me to "*Check your user account settings", *which relates to
me having turned UAC off - I know this because I follow the link (now
the downloads work fine though!).

I have not disabled the admin account (to my knowledge)
I have turned UAC off.
There is only one account "Study" with administrator
There are no errors on Panel / User Accounts

Thanks
snip