Media Player 11 (Vista x64) won't play DVDs

Old July 13th 08, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Norguaard

Default Media Player 11 (Vista x64) won't play DVDs

I have just built a new computer with Vista x64 and am having trouble woth
Media Player 11. When I try to play a DVD I get this message:
"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card."
I have installed the newest nVidia driver for my 8800 Ultra without any
success with MP11. I have downloaded and installed the Vista codec package
as well. Still no luck. Any ideas?
Old July 13th 08, 06:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer

Norguaard wrote:
I have just built a new computer with Vista x64 and am having trouble
woth Media Player 11. When I try to play a DVD I get this message:
"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem
with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and
video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card."
I have installed the newest nVidia driver for my 8800 Ultra without
any success with MP11. I have downloaded and installed the Vista
codec package as well. Still no luck. Any ideas?

==================
You need a DVD decoder.

Info on DVD Decoders:
Plug-ins for Windows Media Player
http://tinyurl.com/j9e29
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/plugins.aspx
(cineplayer from roxio is supposed to be compatible with Vista64)

Maybe the following free player will work
on Vista 64 but I am not certain:

VLC media player
http://www.videolan.org/

The following articles will be useful also.

How to Fix VLC Media Player in Vista
http://tinyurl.com/5lzmm8
or...
http://tech-buzz.net/2007/05/21/how-...ayer-in-vista/

VideoLAN -
Using VLC Player Under Vista
http://tinyurl.com/2r6rrh
or...
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...r-under-vista/
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

--

John Inzer

Old July 13th 08, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Norguaard

I loaded the VLC media player and it works. Thank you very much. But, I
would still like to know why media player 11 and PowerDvd would not work. I
use Vista Ultimate x64. From what I have read it says that Ultimate is
supposed to have media capabilities built in. Thanks very much for the link
to VLC. At least I can play DVDs. Any idea if it will work on Blu-Rays? I
installed a Blu-Ray player in my new computer but don't have any disks to try
yet. They are all at my son's house, a long ride away.
Craig

Old July 13th 08, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
John Inzer

Norguaard wrote:
I loaded the VLC media player and it works. Thank you very much.
But, I would still like to know why media player 11 and PowerDvd
would not work. I use Vista Ultimate x64. From what I have read it
says that Ultimate is supposed to have media capabilities built in.
Thanks very much for the link to VLC. At least I can play DVDs. Any
idea if it will work on Blu-Rays? I installed a Blu-Ray player in my
new computer but don't have any disks to try yet. They are all at my
son's house, a long ride away.
Craig

===================================
I don't know much about Vista 64 but I can tell
you some things are just not compatible with it.

I don't know if VLC will play Blu-Ray but I would
think your new drive came with software?

--

John Inzer

Old July 14th 08, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Norguaard

Yes, I got software with my BD drive, it was PowerDVD, BD edition. Problem
is, it doesn't seem to want to work with my OS, heh. I have sent an email to
them to see if there is something I can do or if I need to wait until it is
fully supported. I like the effects in Vista but I am really beginning to
wonder if I made the right decision here.

Old July 14th 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Norguaard

It appears that my problem may have been my 8GB of RAM. I had just gotten it
to work in this machine yesterday. I removed one 2GB stick just a little
while ago and have not locked up since. For some reason, my computer just
doesn't want to run with a full complement of RAM. After removing the stick
I was able to install and use PowerDVD without a problem. Thanks for your
help. Sorry I screwed up. Guess I will try media player
next............nope, still get the message:"Windows Media Player cannot play
this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your
DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your
video card." Oh, well, I guess I don't really need Media player anyway.
Craig

Old July 18th 08, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

How are you connecting your PC to the monitor - what cable type?

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old January 7th 09, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Leifmb

I have the same problem. My Vista Ultimate x64 will not play DVD's in
Media Center OR Media Player. VLC will play DVD's- No problem!

I thought it might be the video card so I changed it-No change.
Performed all updates-No Change
Did a clean install-No Change
Tried a different monitor-No Change

Hardwa
Asus P5Q-EM
Intel E8400 3Ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB ram (2 sticks total) Corsair memory
Vista X64 Ultimate

Before the clean install I also tried different codec packs and the
Nvidia PureVideo decoder also with No Change

Media Player gives the same error as this thread while Media Center
says it Can play the DVD due to the DVD being in use by another program,
the resolution being wrong or the output not possibly being compatable.

The DVD player is not being used, the resolution is 1024X768 and the
output is VGA (analog).

A further interesting phenomenon is that if I play the DVD using VLC
media player, THEN Media Center will play the DVD but the video will be
broken and very choppy and very delayed while the sound goes smooth.
Something is very wrong.

I also tried resetting the DRM and did so successfully but also No
Change in behavior.

I'm not sure what else I can do. Can you (or anyone) offer some help or
suggestions going forward?

I appreciate any help and thanks,

Leif

--
Leifmb
Old May 18th 09, 06:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
WantsNewComputer

"Norguaard" wrote:

I have just built a new computer with Vista x64 and am having trouble woth
Media Player 11. When I try to play a DVD I get this message:
"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with
digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try
installing an updated driver for your video card."
I have installed the newest nVidia driver for my 8800 Ultra without any
success with MP11. I have downloaded and installed the Vista codec package
as well. Still no luck. Any ideas?

I have the same problem and my computer runs Vista too. Just not the x64
version. I was watching a dvd for a while anyway, fell asleep, and closed the
lid of my laptop. When I came back to the laptop to watch the rest of the
movie, I saw the same error message as you did.
Old May 20th 09, 05:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Kiran90

I'm having a similar problem. I am unable to play a blu-ray DVD on my
computer using either Power DVD, VLC or Media Player. I am downloading
an update for Power DVD but somehow I doubt it will work.

Could it be a region issue? I bought this in the UK. I don't see how
that would affect it, though.

System:

Intel Core i7-920
Vista Ultimate x64
6gb DDR3 Ram (i think... can't actually remember if it's DDR2 or 3)
ATI Radeon 4850 512mb running a 24" through DVI (im running 2, but it
doesnt work with the other one disconnected either)

Any ideas?

--
Kiran90