Pre-RC1 Public Download, no key?

Old August 30th 06, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
dark54555

Default Pre-RC1 Public Download, no key?

I, like many others, was able to download Pre-RC1 via the link that popped up
on sites like Gizmodo this morning. Since the download was direct from MS, I
expect it is legitimate for the 100,000 people they say they're going to
allow to get the file.

However, there's nothing on that site that points you toward a product key.
Since I'm not an MSDN, TechNet, or any other subscriber, I don't have a Beta
2 key or any other key. I'd like my copy to not expire in 14 days.

Where do I go to get a key, or whom do I need to contact? While I
appreciate the chance to beta the OS, it doesn't seem like this "limited
public release" was terribly well planned.
Old August 30th 06, 01:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom Ziegmann

Hello dark54555,

Use your Beta 2 key.

Tom Ziegmann
Microsoft Certified Professional
Windows Vista / Server Longhorn Technical Beta Tester
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Technical Beta Tester

Old August 30th 06, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Roy Coorne

dark54555 schrieb:
As I said in my prior post, I don't have a beta 2 key. I didn't participate
in Beta 2.

Then you will have to wait for RC1 which should be downloadable with a
key around Sept. 7.

Roy
Old August 30th 06, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
firth

You could email . I'm not sure if they will actually give
you a key but it is worth a shot.
--
Robert Firth
http://www.winvistainfo.org

Old August 30th 06, 02:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
dark54555

If that's the case, what was the point of this:
http://download.windowsvista.com/pre.../download.html

It just seems a bit contradictory. Here's the OS, and we're only allowing
the first 100,000 downloads, but you can't have a product key.

I suppose September 7 is within the 14 days, so it may be a moot point.

Old August 30th 06, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Tom Ziegmann

Hello dark54555,

It was meant for those that had originally signed up for Beta 2 CPP.

Old August 30th 06, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mikey43

I do have a beta2 key and I couldn't download it because non-key holders have
stolen all 100,000 copies of the limited download.

THANKS A LOT!

Old August 30th 06, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

Mikey43:
It's still available at
http://download.windowsvista.com/pre.../download.html , the site
was still active just prior to this post. The other download link was a test
link getting ready for RC1.

Old August 30th 06, 07:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Leave the space for the Product Key blank.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar