Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Old October 7th 09, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Default Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Hi
Assuming that two Networks are on separate subnets (if Not, then separate
them).
Try to Uninstall (not disable. Uninstall) AVG an see what would happen.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ericdm55" wrote in message

I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.

--
ericdm55

Old October 7th 09, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Tae Song

"ericdm55" wrote in message

I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.

--
ericdm55

"One nic for wireless and RJ45 WAN"

HUH?

NIC is Network Interface Card/Chip

RJ45 in the context of network would imply ethernet/wired/LAN

WAN is wide area network, usually it would mean dialup or connecting to a
distant network provided over leased line.

So the closest the sentence might translate into something intelligible is
"One network interface card for wireless and wired and wide area network."

But the following phrase "second is static (manulally manually set the TCP
to missing closing bracket"

You didn't use the correct term, you mean IP address not TCP or nic.

and looking at the first part of the sentence again it would read...

"One IP address for wireless and RJ45 WAN"

You can only have one IP address per network interface. You listed three,
wireless, RJ45 (implies ethernet/wired/LAN) and WAN.

So we shorten that to "One IP address for wireless".

So get this...

One IP address for the wireless and second is a static IP address (static,
implies manually set) is 10.0.0.88 assigned to the ethernet port (wired)

Condensed down without too much useless networking jargon would read,
"Wireless is set to automatically obtain an IP address and the wired is
assigned IP address 10.0.0.88."

I wrote this out to show you what I had to go through to figure out what you
were trying to say.

If the the network is coming up as "Unidentified network" you need to set
the gateway address. For 10.0.0.88, It might be 10.0.0.1 but since I can't
see what you did to set up your network, I can't be sure.

Old November 27th 09, 10:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Wron

"ericdm55" wrote:

I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.

--
ericdm55

Hey ericdm55, I know exactly what you mean. Try this:

Hikmat KanaanMVP
1Sign In to Vote Hi , All

Finally after about 4 hours of research , I think this is the solution:
To be able to change you second adapter status to private network profile do
the following:

1. If this is need for a stand alone server , run local security policy
editor
2. select network list Manager Policies
3. At the right Side you can select & double click: Unidentified Networks
4. In the location type select Private , which means that all Unidentified
networks will be consider as private profile network
5. you can also allow the user to change the Location profile

This will allow the system to keep settings after reboot

The same hold true if you used teh Domain Policy
Have fun

Hikmat KanaanProposed As Answer byHikmat KanaanMVPThursday, September 04,
2008 12:34 PM
ReplyQuote

--I found this on technet, I DID NOT come up with this myself

PS: Under the main page of Network and Sharing Center, your private network
will still show up as "Unidentified Network", but if you click on "Windows
Firewall", you will see that Widows does indeed see it as a private network,
even when the Internet network is set to public. Also, I am using Windows 7
RC, so Vista might be a little different.