Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Old September 21st 08, 09:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Richard

Default Multiple Network Cards and Networks

Hi,
My home PC has 2 network cards in it:
1. Wireless network card that is used for accessing my wireless ADSL
router. THis is the primary neto9wrk interface I use to connect to the
internet
2. An on board ethernet NIC that I am trying to use as a private network.
This is connected to a netgear switch on my desk, which I use as a private
network that I plug my laptop into.

The problem
=========
I have Vista Ultimate 654 Bit edition running with all patches. The issue I
have is that the network settings are a bitg hard to understand.
Logically, I was expecting that I could set the wireless as a public
network, so that no sharing etc occurs across it, and that the ethernet
connected to the switch was the internal network. This internal network would
be used to access all internal network resource only.
The problem seems to manifest in that in Network and Sharing Center, for the
local only network I cannot change the name or the icons etc. Also, when I
set it to Private, the settings are lost.

I am in the IT game, so find this irritating beyond belief.
Is it just me doing something wrong here, or is it not possible to have the
setup I have described above?

Any help from any one is very much appreciated.

Regards
Old September 21st 08, 11:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
barman58

Hi richard,

Firstly if this response is oversimplified I apologise.

just some things I would check

The 2 networks are on different subnets
Manual IP addressing for wired and auto for wireless
No gateway on the Wired
The file and printer sharing is on for the wired and off for the
wireless.
The Microsoft network client is on for the wired and off for the
wireless.

Hopefully this set up will allow you to set the Private / Public
settings for each network

you may also have to setup manual IP routing for the private network

basic examples of how to in Vista 'Here'
(http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...routing-table/)

hope this helps

--
barman58

Regards,
*Nigel*
the beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not
understand.,- frank herbert
Old September 21st 08, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 06:51:30 -0500, barman58
wrote:

Hi richard,

Firstly if this response is oversimplified I apologise.

You should be apologizing to eveyone else for not quoting the post -
or the relevant part of the post - that you are replying to.

Many of us have other Usenent stops and don't spend all of our time in
one place so it's not that easy to keep it all in memory.

You post a lot. You should learn to quote.

Old September 21st 08, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Richard

Barman,
Thanks for the response. I did not try with a static IP. However, what would
I put for the gateway, as there is no gaetway for that NIC?

Also, since one of my PC's is a laptop that I use for work, the ideal
situation would be for it to store a network "profile" that is automatically
turned on when I connect to the network that I have associated with the
profile. So, for example, when I am at work, the work profile is enabled
(with the Internet proxy and DHCP), whereas when I am at home, the "Home"
profile is activated (no DHCP and static IP). Does anyone know if this is
even remotely possible?

I love Vista, but feel that this is the one thing that got horribly broken.

Regards

Richard

Old October 7th 09, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ericdm55

I have the same set-up. One nic is for the wireless and RJ45 WAN, the
second is static (manulally set the TCP to 10.0.0.088 etc. wired through
a hub and file sharing is allowed on this. AVG is running and we are
allowed to set this adapter for safe. The annoying Vista problem is
resetting the safe static nic as private each time I start up, for 2 yrs
now. Also the name is unidentified, permanantly, but does work.

--
ericdm55

Old October 7th 09, 01:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
lemur

'Configuring multiple gateways on a network - Windows Vista Help'
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...8ef1f1033.mspx)

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::

Old October 7th 09, 01:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
ericdm55

Thanks Lemur but
Ive done that for two years, works OK, but
I would like to edit my private nic,
assign a private name
and lock the status as Private.
Sorry no can do kimosabe!!