Very annoying message balloon

Old September 22nd 08, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mandevu

Default Very annoying message balloon

Attempted to backup my Outlook .pst files to a DVD but advised the
backup was unsuccessful. Now a message continually pops up (see
screenshot). When I click the balloon to see the files it takes me to
my EMPTY DVD burner (no disk) it tells me there is a 276k backup file
there.
When I navigate to
C:\Name..\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Tem porary Burn Files
there is nothing to delete - this file is empty.
Can anyone suggest a fix - this balloon popping up all the time is
distracting and driving me nuts![image:
file:///C:/Users/Stefan/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg]
Running 64 bit Vista Home Premium on Quad Core 2 with 8 Megs RAM, 2
HDD's and 2 DVD burners.

--
Mandevu
Old September 22nd 08, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

Hi Mandevu,

I can see that must be annoying - you might find it here

6757

as opposed to here

6758

Not sure, but it's got to be worth a look.

There's a free app. called specialfolders view that you may like to try
- quite handy for tracking things down - don't know if it will do what
you're after, but you can get it here

'Freeware Tools and Utilities for Windows'
(http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html)

Hope that's of some use

SIW2

|Filename: BURN2008-09-23_004717.jpeg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6758 |

SIW2
Old September 23rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mandevu

Thanks SW12 - but no temp .pst files there. Only temp .cvr files which I
assume are fax related. I guess it is a temp .pst file I am looking for.
Will try the resources you suggest, but have to admit I get scared just
looking at the vast amount of options available!
Appreciate your suggestion.
Regards,
Mandevu

--
Mandevu
Old September 23rd 08, 12:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

Hi

Suggest you download the app. called SpecialFoldersView.

It's a zipfile , so right click it and select extract all. Then right
click and run as admin on the SpecialFoldersView.exe. It is an
executable , so doesn't actually install.

When you run it , lots of folders are listed down the left hand pane.
Click (or double click - depending how you set up your mouse ) on them
to view the contents - you might find it in one of those.

Hope it helps

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old September 23rd 08, 01:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

Hi Again,

When you have ( hopefully) sorted out your dvd drive issue, you might
find this useful

'About the Outlook PST-File | HowTo-Outlook'
(http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/aboutpst.htm)

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old September 23rd 08, 01:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mandevu

Yes, thanks - installed and ran SpecialFoldersView, but all the folders
I think may be pertinent are empty. Also ran CCleaner to clean out all
temp files, but this made no difference!
I guess it would help if I knew exactly what I am searching for - I
have been assuming it is a temp or .pst file - which is what Vista keeps
referring to?
Regards,
Mandevu

|Filename: Outlook error message2.JPG |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.p...achmentid=6762 |

Mandevu
Old September 23rd 08, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
SIW2

Hi,

Curious . OK here's a longshot with some kind of logic, I think.

Vista is desperate to burn some files ( or phantom files ) - so why not
let it ?

Pop a cd ( or cdrw if you don't want to waste one ) into the drive,
drag any old file into the window and click burn.

With any luck Vista will burn those annoying files as well ( or think
she has ) and stop nagging you.

Do you reckon that's worth a try ?

Before you do that, did you check the other dvd drive? Click startorb,
click computer, right click the other dvd drive and click open - see if
that reveals anything.

SIW2

--
SIW2
Old September 23rd 08, 02:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mandevu

Hello SW14 - I looked for the scanpst.exe file mentioned on the site you
recommended but I guess the site must be dated because I can find no
such file where they suggest it defaults to. Perhaps because I'm using
64 bit Office 2007? Nevertheless I'll dig around and see what I can come
up with. When I attempted to back up my .pst files originally I did
follow the recommended procedure, however it still bombed. I understand
from others Vista is better backed up to flash memory than CD/DVD -
should have done my homework!
Thanks for your help!
Mandevu

--
Mandevu
Old September 23rd 08, 02:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mandevu

Hi SIW2 - Tried to burn on both DVD's but Vista wants me to navigate to
the file and select it for burning - these folders are empty. I get the
impression some Vista programmer is having a real hoot watching me
running around in circles!
Mandevu

--
Mandevu
Old September 23rd 08, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mandevu

Hi SIW2 - wait up! Success! Didn't read your last suggestion correctly,
so went back and did what your suggested in the first place (burn any
file) - low and behold Vista burnt a .pst backup file to a disk and the
balloon and Outlook error messages have disappeared, and I'm back to
enjoyable computing!
Thank you so much! You have my vote!
Mandevu

--