Broadband speed check & monitor traffic

Old December 8th 08, 11:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
KRK

Default Broadband speed check & monitor traffic

Hello,

How do I check my broadband speed, and how do I monitor the amount of data
passing back & forth. ?

Is there a sidebar gadget ?

Thanks

KK

Old December 8th 08, 12:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

I have been using NetMeter for about 3 years now.

It does everything you want and a lot more.

1. Daily reports
2. Weekly reports
3. Monthly reports
4. Yearly reports
5. Cumulative from the point when you started using NetMeter
6. In and out bandwidth speed monitoring

Get it he http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old December 8th 08, 12:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
KRK

Default Broadband speed check & monitor traffic -- Thanks

Thanks, this looks good

KK

Old December 8th 08, 12:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

What Richard said re Netmeter.. for a speed check, use www.speedtest.net

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old December 8th 08, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Marty

hi krk,i use speedtest aswell but remember it is only a rough guide, there
are a lot of variables that affect your speed including the speed test itself
--
martyb

Old December 8th 08, 08:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

That is why NetMeter is so nice. It doesn't mater what server you are
downloading a file from. It will tell you the download speed for that
particular server, or any server you may connect to.

The online bandwidth meters only tell you the speed from that dedicated
server. It is not likely the same across the board. NetMeter will let you
know this.

Old December 8th 08, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Marty

what we need is a meter to tell us when our bb is being choked by the
supplier because they cant be arsed to upgrade the cable after selling
everyone 20-50mb download speeds and some bloke at the end of the street is
hogging by downloading illegal blue-ray films over a three day period......
whinge over feel better now
--
martyb

Old December 8th 08, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

"KRK" wrote:

Hello,

How do I check my broadband speed, and how do I monitor the amount of
data
passing back & forth. ?

Is there a sidebar gadget ?

Thanks

KK

A note on Speedtest.net..

I am on a 7mb cable and it shows a best of 6901 for me which tells me that
all is well on a good day.

A local client of mine was only getting 5.5 when he should have been getting
the same as me, and changing the TcpWindowSize in registry made no
difference at all. The guy ran the test over the period of a week, and
still nothing better than 5.5.

So I swapped his old DLink 701 router out for a newer model, and up went the
reading to more or less the same as mine.

While I agree that results from test sites can and do vary from one location
and/or time to another, the Speedtest.net site is useful for nailing down
problems as per the above.

As far as I am aware, the Speedtest finds a little used but fast server in
your 'locality'. In my case, Kippen is approximately 60km north of my
location.

I have found it to be a useful test for determining problems relating to
Internet connection speeds..

Re Netmeter, I use that too much as Richard does. It is good for logging
totals going through the NIC. I also use Network Meter version 2.2, a Vista
Sidebar gadget. Netmeter 1.13 gets in the way when on screen ( I like to see
what and how much is happening on the fly), and this one sits neatly on the
sidebar.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Old December 10th 08, 11:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
KRK

Default Broadband speed check & monitor traffic - Thanks - A follow-up Question if I may

Thanks again, speedtest is very good.

My results look OK for where I live , but why is the upload speed so much
slower than the download speed ?

Thanks

KK

Old December 10th 08, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gordon[_5_]

"KRK" wrote in message
Thanks again, speedtest is very good.

My results look OK for where I live , but why is the upload speed so much
slower than the download speed ?

That's completely normal. Usually it's between a 5th and a 3rd of download
speed...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level