WMC Decoder Error - can no longer play videos/DVDs

Old January 5th 07, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Technology Guy

Default WMC Decoder Error - can no longer play videos/DVDs

I'm running RC2-5744. Yesterday morning, I was able to play DVDs. As of
yesterday afternoon, no videos (including the default ones - like 'Apollo
13') will play under Windows Media Center. They all give the message:

Decoder Error.

Is this a feature under RC2 that has 'expired'? If so, is there some
indication of that in any of the system logs?

Are there any other features that are just going to disappear without notice?
Old January 5th 07, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dale

You got it. RC2 expired the required decoders without notification or even
disclosure that those decoders would expire before the rest of the RC.
Since this portion of Windows Vista was developed by the Windows Media
Player product team who admittedly do not want to hear anything their
customers have to say, it is no surprise that they're not going to tell
their customers anything the customers should have known either.

Dale

Old January 5th 07, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Technology Guy

Wow - that's pretty lame. Are you aware of other stuff that's just going
to stop functioning?

It seems strange, if RC2 just stopped allowing ALL its users to play DVDs,
then why is my message the 1st (and only) message about it? You'd think
there would be 100s of other people posting the same...

Old January 5th 07, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dale

There have been a lot of messages in the Media Player newsgroups - not
hundreds, but a dozen or two, including quotes from Microsoft to CNET on the
subject - quotes of them blowing it off as no big deal.

Old January 5th 07, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Technology Guy

Not for RC2 (unless I'm missing something obvious - which I might be doing

Are you aware of any other ones for RC2?

Old January 5th 07, 05:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Technology Guy

Nevermind - I found a (rapidly growing) string in another place. I added a
note to it.

Back in September, somebody from MS posted "Codecs in the final Vista
release would not have such an expiration."

This information appears to be incorrect. As such, I would expect at least
a comment by MS updaing us on what happenend and why...

Old January 5th 07, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Dale

Yes, I saw your post in the other group. Like I said, there was a Microsoft
statement about it posted in one of the groups yesterday or the day before.
If I remember correctly, the statement was quoted from CNET.com so you might
try there too if you just want to hear Microsoft's excuses. Otherwise, your
only option is to install XP or wait until you can install RTM in a few
weeks.