Performance and Maintainance of Windows Vista A forum for performance and maintenance tasks in Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintainance)

Screen randomly scrambles (not at bootup)

Old July 16th 09, 03:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
darkangelofhell666

Default Screen randomly scrambles (not at bootup)

Hi, I have an issue that I've been trying to find an issue for, but so
far I have not found a thread anywhere on the internet that even
addressed my problem precisely. Occasionally, usually after my computer
has been running awhile, my screen will randomly scramble up, and parts
of it will become inoperable. There are no "black lines" going
across the screen, and my screen hasn't "rotated"; parts of
the screen shift up, down, left, or right, but nothing is covered by
lines or rotated. I don't believe this to be a problem with my monitor.
My reason to believe this is because sometimes, when I open a folder
from my desktop, Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) will crash and restart,
and after that happens the problem is gone. If the folder opens and
explorer doesn't crash, then the only way I could fix this was to
reboot, and after that it would be fine. By the way, when I open the
folder, the window is completely black, and I cannot blindly click on
the files nor can I rummage through them with my keyboard, etc. Another
thing that this affects is the start menu. When I click the start menu,
it is completely grey and partially transparent, like the top line of an
explorer window (if settings are set to make it transparent). From
there, I cannot select any file or option to open, and I cannot shut
down, hibernate, log off, etc. from there. Basically, I want to know
what is causing this to happen, how to prevent it, and what to do (other
than reboot or force restart explorer.exe) when this happens again.

Computer specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Centrino Duo Processor
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Driver
Refresh Rate at 60 Hertz

I really don't know what other information to supply, so there's any
additional information you need to know before you can help me find a
solution, just ask.

--
darkangelofhell666
Old July 16th 09, 11:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
SC Tom

Is the video built into the motherboard, or do you have an AGP or PCIe
card installed? How old is this system? Check the inside of the case for
dust bunnies, hair, etc. around any heatsinks, on any fans and fan blades,
especially around the CPU and GPU.
As Rick said, also check for new/updated drivers. If there are no newer
ones than what is already installed, re-install the one you are currently
using. You may have to uninstall it first. If the video is on-board, check
with your PC or motherboard manufacturer for them. If it's a video card,
check on the card manufacturer's web site.

SC Tom

Old July 17th 09, 04:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
darkangelofhell666

Uhm... I'm not exactly sure. I would assume it is built in because it's
a laptop but I'm really not a computer savvy person so I honestly don't
know. As for the AGP or PCIe, I'm not even sure what those are. And my
laptop is about a year and a half old now. But this problem has existed
since I first got it. I just didn't think to resolve the problem until
now.
I recently reinstalled my OS, and had to download all my drivers again
from the Gateway website (for my Gateway laptop, obv.) so I'm pretty

Old July 17th 09, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Cody Jarrett

darkangelofhell666 wrote:

Uhm... I'm not exactly sure. I would assume it is built in because it's
a laptop but I'm really not a computer savvy person so I honestly don't
know. As for the AGP or PCIe, I'm not even sure what those are. And my
laptop is about a year and a half old now. But this problem has existed
since I first got it. I just didn't think to resolve the problem until
now.

Smart. Now that your warranty has long since expired, you are trying
to fix something that no doubt could have been fixed for free by the
manufacturer.

Since it has been happening since you first received the computer, it
is not a driver issue so you no doubt have a hardware problem that you
will now have to PAY to get fixed.
Old July 17th 09, 11:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
SC Tom

The fact that it is a notebook and not a desktop PC would be something to
mention right off the bat.
What model Gateway is it? As Cody mentioned, you may be in for some big time
spending now that it is out of warranty. It still may be a heat problem,
though, and possibly fixable. Download and install HWMonitor (
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php ). Start it right after you boot up and
let it run for a while as you do things on the notebook. The items to watch
are the CPU and graphics temps. After it runs for a bit, post back the
maximum and minimum temps shown.

As a side note, if you do need to get it worked on, find a reputable shop in
town (not the Geek Squad or any of the big chain places). Ask friends,
relatives, or acquaintances for experiences they may have had at different
places. As a last resort contact Gateway- they sold out a while back and
their support is being covered (not too well) by another company, MPC. From
personal experience with Gateway and my notebook problems, I'd let
Jimmmyjoe's Liquor Store and PC Sales work on it before I sent it to Gateway
if I couldn't fix it myself.