mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

Old July 31st 09, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
brikendor[_2_]

Default mov videos don't work in Vista, can't convert

John Inzer asked "How do you import an Apple QuickTime .mov into Movie Maker
without conversion?" This is how I did it (over a year ago - so my
descriptive may be a little hazy in places).

i) download QTPlayer to obtain .mov codec legitimately

ii) download K-Lite codec pack taking care to install nothing but generic
MPEG4 The reason for this is to enable WMP to play .mov files (albeit
without audio - you get the same result if you do try to download audio
codecs)

iii) connect camera or insert SD card.

iv) select view using PhotoGallery

v) whilst playing (badly), select Make a Movie

Hey presto.

The audio stream IS repeat IS present (the file extension is, I believe,
PCM) and, if required, can be converted. I use "Free Video Converter" by
Kyotesoft. The audio track can then be added to the video track in WMM.

The resulting a/v file, once saved can be re-worked in WMM.

The usual caveats apply.

"brikendor" wrote in message
It would also be JUST as well to check the comments IN the customer
feedback pages, if available. I spent the 4th of July 2008 doing just
that and came to the conclusion that some of these free enterprise (covers
a multitude of sins) offerings weren't worth a pile of shirt. Also, you
can never be sure that the seeming attractiveness of a freebie doesn't
conceal malware.

"Justin" wrote in message
Earthkanu wrote:
My Olympus FE190 & Nikon cameras use .mov video format. My HPm7750n
Vista Hm
Premium OS w/media cntr pkg (WMP, WMC, NVIDIA 6150LE, WMM 6.0.6, Muvee
Autoproducer 5.0, Creator Basic V9-Roxio) all totally useless pieces of
junk
for videos because none use .mov files and Vista can't convert.

Anybody else out there interested in complaining on every forum
possible to
get Microsoft moving on a solution? Is MS already working on this? I
just
want to be able to make movies and use the features I paid lots of
money for!

Thanking you

There are freeware converters out there; you just have to search.

Old July 31st 09, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

I can understand how that less-traveled path can get you there.
Interesting!!

--
PapaJohn
www.papajohn.org

Old August 1st 09, 03:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
brikendor[_2_]

I slipped the above post in, when I realised that I hadn't given John Inzer
a straight answer to a straight question. I ought to mention that, although
this solution works for me, it may not work for others.

Old August 1st 09, 05:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
brikendor[_2_]

My thanks go to Christina "Gurrrrrrr", whose post (? May 2008) in another
discussion group inspired me to pursue my investigation at a time when my
morale was slipping.