Moving Toolbars

Old January 27th 07, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
KingDaveRa

Default Moving Toolbars

Hi all.

Under XP, I would create a new toolbar which pointed to the same location as
the Quick Launch toolbar. I would then move this, and have it up the side of
the screen. So basically, I had a standard Quick Launch at the bottom, and
then a repeat of it up the side, with shortcuts to my most-used apps. It was
a bit like the old-school Office toolbar. I tried adding the same thing in
Vista, but I can't move toolbars out from the main taskbar. I can move them
WITHIN the taskbar, just not out of it. Am I missing something? Is it even
possible? Seems like an odd feature to remove!
Old January 27th 07, 06:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Max

Work around:
Create a New Folder on your desktop.
Drag it to an edge--it becomes a toolbar.
Right click it/Toolbars--choose an existing or choose New Toolbar and browse
to the desired folder on your hard drive.
Close the "New Folder" toolbar and you are left with the one you just
created. Adjust the properties as you like.

Why can't you just drag a toolbar out of the Main like you used to in XP?
Because you just can't.

--
Maxwell Bluemeanie

Old January 27th 07, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
KingDaveRa

Ahh, cool. I actually shortcutted it and just dragged the
%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer folder onto the side of the screen.
Saves adding another toolbar then closing it.

Thanks for the help, though!

Old January 28th 07, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Daniel E Jameson

Ahhhh,

Thank you. I was missing that too. Though, it's not as pretty as the
IE4/XP version.

--
Daniel Jameson
·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·• ·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·• ·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·• ·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·• ·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·• ·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·•·• ·•·

Old January 28th 07, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Vista Ready

KingDaveRa,

One very simple method for adding, moving, creating, or deleting Shortcuts,
Note, this method is a bit tricky until *first* accomplished, just be patient.

Carefully place the tip of your cursor approximately 1/8 inch to the right
from the most right Icon within Quick Launch; right click and a Menu Opens,
the top entry reads, “Open Folder”, within the “Open Folder” do as you
desire, as, adding, moving, create, or delete Quick Launch Short Cuts, and
then quickly place the short cuts any where you desire, including adding to
or removing from Vista's Quick Launch Task Bar.

Locating the 1/8 inch area for placing the cursor’s Tip is a bit tricky
until the first time accomplished.

--
Life is Wonderful while using Vista solo !

Posting & Painting
"Painting, n.: The art of protecting flat surfaces from the weather, and
exposing them to the critic."

Ambrose Bierce
**********

Old January 28th 07, 08:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Max

And this 'method' creates a new toolbar outside of the main taskbar
exactly......how?
Do you even fully READ posts, or do you have comprehension issues?

--
Maxwell Bluemeanie

Old January 28th 07, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Vista Ready

With appropriate academic and technical knowledge of Windows Vista, it is
very simple for removing an Icon from the Main, very contrary to your poor
and lacking technical understanding of Windows Vista.

Below Post from “Max”:
“Why can't you just drag a toolbar out of the Main like you used to in XP?”

“Because you just can't.” (Wrong, yes that can easily be accomplished)

Old January 28th 07, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Max

LOL!!!!
You don't even know the difference between an ICON and a TOOLBAR!!!
OMG...can't...breathe...laughing...too...hard..... ....

Oh and by the way, here are the most current game statistics thus far:
You are losing.
Big time.
Barely a challenge, and I have not even had to take off the kid gloves yet.
But if I do, you will know.

Want some more statistics to play with?
Start up Windows Calculator--you DO know how, right?
Now, how many posts have you made to this group--with any of your various
pseudonyms? Go ahead and add them up.
Now subtract any that contained erroneous, blatantly false, or misleading
information.
From what is left, subtract all of your posts where you correctly
interpreted someone's problem or question, and correctly supplied the exact
solution.
Let me help you:
"Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'."

And some more statistics:
Hardly anybody here has called me an idiot (synonyms acceptable)for
providing incorrect or erroneous information.
How is your percentage going?

Old January 31st 07, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
DaveCasper

Likewise, I used to put an Autohide Address/Quicklinks bar at the top of the
screen. This was accomplished by adding an address toolbar to the Taskbar,
then dragging to the top of the screen.

Now when I add the Address toolbar to the taskbar, when I try to drag it, it
displays the 4-way arrow cursor, but won't drag. I can drag the whole
taskbar to a different edge, but not one of the constituent toolbars.

If I can't have the autohide Address toolbar at the top of the screen (which
I've used since IE4 or IE5, I think), I am going to be very disappointed.

Is there any way to have the normal taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and
a second toolbar at the top?

6 hours after installing Vista, I am pretty amazed at how much of it is
broken. I've found at least 10 things that don't work properly, or at all.

Old May 5th 07, 03:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Rocky Lane

Only 10 things Dave ...

Vista is so broken I refuse to allow it in my company. The cost of
re-training all the users and the Help Desk support required far outway any
benefits Vista may have.

The real problem starts when Miscrosft stops supporting XP and forces you to
go Vista. I'll be researching converting my users to Linux very thoroughly to
see if that route is less painful than upgrading to Vista.

No toolbar in Windows Explorer ... what were they thinking ... or were they
thinking at all.