QIC Backup File

Old November 27th 09, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Itsybel

Default QIC Backup File

I just installed Family Tree Maker into my laptop that has Vista. Found
a problem when I went to restore from the backup that was created using
my desktop which created a .QIC backup file so it's not recognized.
What can I do to recover these backups? Thank you for any help you can
provide, I don't want to lose all my family history.

--
Itsybel
Old November 27th 09, 03:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard Urban

The .qic file extension was created by Windows Backup in Windows 98. This is
NOT usable from any version of Windows Backup since. See:
http://filext.com/file-extension/QIC

You will have to find a working computer running Win98 and extract your
backup files from that platform. Then save the files to external media for
transfer to your new computer.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Old December 4th 09, 12:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Itsybel

Thanks, but that's my #1 problem. I haven't been able to find a
computer running windows 98. thanks for taking the time to reply, it's
just so frustrating that 98 would do such a thing, now I've lost all my
family history.
Thanks again
Isabel

--
Itsybel
Old December 4th 09, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gene E. Bloch

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 19:39:32 -0600, Itsybel wrote:

Thanks, but that's my #1 problem. I haven't been able to find a
computer running windows 98. thanks for taking the time to reply, it's
just so frustrating that 98 would do such a thing, now I've lost all my
family history.
Thanks again
Isabel

There is Google. I just looked briefly at a page or two. maybe some of this
might help. If not, Google for yourself (thanks to Google I also noticed
that you've looked in other forums).

1. Look near the bottom of th following page for a comment on Roxio:
http://www.qic.org/html/faq/faq9.html

2. Look on
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how...up_files_i.htm
for nprsoftware

3. On this site
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/84...ram-read-files
is a reference to
http://preview.tinyurl.com/y8t4nyw
Which may or may not work, they think.

Other than finding a friend (or local school or library?) with a Win 98
computer, I'm really not optimistic, sorry :-(

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
Old December 4th 09, 03:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Itsybel

Thanks, LOL, yes I've been looking everywhere I can. forums, searchs but
I'm at a loss as to where to look. I didn't realize that the backups I'd
made of my family tree maker would not be useable in future versions,
I've always thought if I stuck with windows and the same programs I'd be
safe, especially backing everything up every month. I'm now worried
with my other backups and the future. I'll keep looking, as long as I
don't damage the files in my trying different things, I should be okay
until I find something that works, I'll keep trying, and asking everyone
I know around Billings for an old computer with version 98 on it.
Thanks again for your help,
Isabel

--
Itsybel
Old December 4th 09, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nil[_3_]

On 03 Dec 2009, Itsybel wrote in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general:

Thanks, but that's my #1 problem. I haven't been able to find a
computer running windows 98. thanks for taking the time to reply,
it's just so frustrating that 98 would do such a thing, now I've
lost all my family history.

It's not lost, it's just sitting there waiting for you. You will
eventually find a copy of Windows 98 - they sold millions of copies and
most of them are likely sitting in drawers and closets... or still in
use.

If you don't have spare hardware, it can be installed in Microsoft
Virtual PC running on your current computer.
Old December 4th 09, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
GSalisbury

"Itsybel" wrote in message

Thanks, LOL, yes I've been looking everywhere I can. forums, searchs but
I'm at a loss as to where to look. I didn't realize that the backups I'd
made of my family tree maker would not be useable in future versions,
I've always thought if I stuck with windows and the same programs I'd be
safe, especially backing everything up every month. I'm now worried
with my other backups and the future. I'll keep looking, as long as I
don't damage the files in my trying different things, I should be okay
until I find something that works, I'll keep trying, and asking everyone
I know around Billings for an old computer with version 98 on it.
Thanks again for your help,
Isabel

--
Itsybel

eBay.
It's almost a certainty you'll be able to find someone looking to sell a
complete computer w/W98[se] on it.
It's also bound to be pretty damn cheap.
And you'll end up with a spare computer.
Geo.

Old December 6th 09, 03:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Itsybel

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll definitely keep looking. I do have
an old computer but it has xp on it. I may have to try buying 98 and
putting it on that computer so I don't mess up the one I'm using.
Thanks again

--
Itsybel